turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Favorite Slate Strikers?

Started by Turkeytider, June 03, 2020, 11:04:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Turkeytider

Never owned or played a slate call but that will soon change with the arrival of a red slate/glass in a redheart pot from John Sinclair. I`m very interested to know what some of you veteran slate players think are your fav strikers. Looking to get a little deeper and raspier sound to compliment my higher pitched crystal and aluminum pots. Thanks everyone in advance.

bbcoach

Experimenting with the call will be the ultimate test.  Slate will definitely give you that deeper sound you are looking for.  My Go To, on my gray slate, is a laminated birch striker.  Hickory, purpleheart and dymondwood are also right up there IMO.  You'll probably get a ton of suggestions but ultimately you'll have to experiment and decide what you like best.  Good luck with your search.

cutt down

My absolute favorite striker that will play on anything I have & I have ALOT is a Clay Townsend snakewood striker with persimmon top. Not only is it beautiful but it will play on any surface I own. And sounds good on them all! Shag Hill Calls on facebook is where you'll find him. My second & third favs are by Neal Herman & they are his dymalux or tulipwood. Those 3 strikers are the ones I used exclusively this past year. The snakewood will probably give you the deepest tone. Tulipwood will be give the softer sound.

Turkeytider

Thanks guys. Is there ANYTHING that hickory, snakewood, tulip or dymondwood WON`T play and play well on?

Bringintheh2o

Matt McClain makes a Black Locust striker, Jeff Harrison makes a great Heavy Hickory and Clay Townsend makes a Tulipwood. All three play exceptionally well on a slate call.

Tom007

JLH frogwood, Granadillo, and hickory are also Great on slate. Jeff makes great strikers. He recently made me a Two piece striker, Spalted maple on top, Macassar Ebony stick. Not only looks good, but plays well on slate.....
"Solo hunter"

Yelper

Of all the Red Slate Pots I have played, my opinion is they are higher pitched, similar to a glass or crystal pot, they are not mellow or have a raspier sound to them. I'm sure with a few different strikers you might get the tone your looking for.

With the grey slate pots I have found that hickory and persimmon are hard to beat on them and sound the best to me.

CMH

Mr Sinclair makes great calls and The two I got both sound great With the striker he sent with it.

BTH

Persimmon, purple heart, black locust, hickory and pecan are my favorites on gray slate. Frogwood is quickly moving to the front of the line as well. I also like a bloodwood striker on higher pitched slate pots.
Phil 4:13

Turkeytider

Quote from: Yelper on June 03, 2020, 02:45:15 PM
Of all the Red Slate Pots I have played, my opinion is they are higher pitched, similar to a glass or crystal pot, they are not mellow or have a raspier sound to them. I'm sure with a few different strikers you might get the tone your looking for.

With the grey slate pots I have found that hickory and persimmon are hard to beat on them and sound the best to me.

That`s interesting. I listened to a soundfile on the red slate I ordered. Sure sounded deeper than my Crystal Mistress or aluminum call, at least the way it was being played. I also think that the pot density and hardness of the wood make a difference, not to mention the striker. A less dense and less hard wood have a tendency towards a lower pitch. That`s one of the reasons I picked the redheart pot as opposed to a canarywood.

Turkeytider

Quote from: Tom007 on June 03, 2020, 02:37:02 PM
JLH frogwood, Granadillo, and hickory are also Great on slate. Jeff makes great strikers. He recently made me a Two piece striker, Spalted maple on top, Macassar Ebony stick. Not only looks good, but plays well on slate.....

Agree in spades on Jeff`s strikers, I have several. Looking forward to hearing his frogwood on the slate.

Loyalist84

Jeff's sticks are great, but his Black and White Ebony is my favourite for low tones husky yelps and it's stellar for soft calling.

bbcoach

Quote from: Turkeytider on June 03, 2020, 03:57:37 PM

That`s interesting. I listened to a soundfile on the red slate I ordered. Sure sounded deeper than my Crystal Mistress or aluminum call, at least the way it was being played. I also think that the pot density and hardness of the wood make a difference, not to mention the striker. A less dense and less hard wood have a tendency towards a lower pitch. That`s one of the reasons I picked the redheart pot as opposed to a canarywood.
You can also go with a softer wood for your striker as well to get that deeper lower pitch you are looking for.  Jeff Harrison makes a weighted cedar striker that many Rave about.  I know several call makers that make their purr pots out of cedar for that soft mellow tone. 

Turkeytider

Quote from: bbcoach on June 03, 2020, 06:30:45 PM
Quote from: Turkeytider on June 03, 2020, 03:57:37 PM

You can also go with a softer wood for your striker as well to get that deeper lower pitch you are looking for.  Jeff Harrison makes a weighted cedar striker that many Rave about.  I know several call makers that make their purr pots out of cedar for that soft mellow tone.

Indeed. I have one of Jeff's weighted cedars. I've got what's developed into a fist full of strikers to try. I 'm confident that I'll have more than one that will give me the sounds I'm looking for and expecting.

Greg Massey

Clay Townsend persimmon snakewood or Fowler Osage top snakewood ...