OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: More on YouTube Turkey Hunting  (Read 12029 times)

Offline Howie g

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: More on YouTube Turkey Hunting
« Reply #75 on: June 19, 2020, 08:04:16 PM »
Catman , I enjoy your stuff also , just a good old boy enjoying Gods gifts from nature . I love a wingbone caller myself also .
   But ,  I wish you and others would stop saying what state your hunting in .  We can still enjoy the hunt not knowing where you are .  “ constructive criticism’.   Rock on ????

Offline Pluffmud

« Reply #76 on: June 20, 2020, 10:17:03 AM »
Rock on!
Psalm 46:10

Offline LaLongbeard

• Double Beard
  • Louisiana
« Reply #77 on: June 20, 2020, 12:13:21 PM »

But ,  I wish you and others would stop saying what state your hunting in .  We can still enjoy the hunt not knowing where you are.

I don’t think what state there in is the problem it’s the extra unneeded signs and landmarks that have nothing to do with the actual hunt that’s giving away their location.   
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

Offline Spurs

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #78 on: June 20, 2020, 12:40:26 PM »

But ,  I wish you and others would stop saying what state your hunting in .  We can still enjoy the hunt not knowing where you are.

I don’t think what state there in is the problem it’s the extra unneeded signs and landmarks that have nothing to do with the actual hunt that’s giving away their location.
This!!!  I love knowing what states y’all are in personally.  Kinda cool to see how other states stack up against others, my own personal experience in other states, and how many adapt to what are typically referred to as “pressured” states. 

Also, if a local is upset that their “honey hole” gets called out on YT, they prolly didn’t have much of a honey hole. 
This year is going to suck!!!

Offline Jstocks

« Reply #79 on: June 20, 2020, 05:18:54 PM »
I for one wish that folks would not post what state they are in. I’m just not sure why it matters to mention it other than they may have a high volume of viewers who want to plan future hunts based off of knowing the areas the video is shot in. I feel this may be the case with a lot of the younger hunters.

Let me explain to those not from Alabama, Mississippi, or Louisiana..... because I think these folks for the most part understand. At least I feel like the older hunters do.

When you guys in these other states start getting the high volume of hunters from out of state like Missouri and Tennessee get from those states I mentioned, you are going to ask yourselves who in the heck opened the flood gates. I’ll go ahead and answer it.... the video hunters who put what state they are hunting.

I recently cringed when I saw a video posted from a lesser known state that I enjoy hunting. It used to be on no one’s radar. I have a feeling that is fixing to change.

For the ones chasing the US Slam.....posting the video locations is selfish and self serving. It matters not to them what crowds show up after they are gone. Their plans won’t take them back to that area for some time.

I still love to watch the videos from Catman, THP, and Pinhoti.

Offline LaLongbeard

• Double Beard
  • Louisiana
« Reply #80 on: June 20, 2020, 05:52:00 PM »
I for one wish that folks would not post what state they are in. I’m just not sure why it matters to mention it other than they may have a high volume of viewers who want to plan future hunts based off of knowing the areas the video is shot in. I feel this may be the case with a lot of the younger hunters.

Let me explain to those not from Alabama, Mississippi, or Louisiana..... because I think these folks for the most part understand. At least I feel like the older hunters do.

When you guys in these other states start getting the high volume of hunters from out of state like Missouri and Tennessee get from those states I mentioned, you are going to ask yourselves who in the heck opened the flood gates. I’ll go ahead and answer it.... the video hunters who put what state they are hunting.

I recently cringed when I saw a video posted from a lesser known state that I enjoy hunting. It used to be on no one’s radar. I have a feeling that is fixing to change.

For the ones chasing the US Slam.....posting the video locations is selfish and self serving. It matters not to them what crowds show up after they are gone. Their plans won’t take them back to that area for some time.

I agree. But just saying I’m hunting X state is one thing but they are making it worse with the added details that have nothing to do with hunting. And your right about Mississippi and Louisiana when you start seeing them plates in your hunting spot you can go ahead and stop all hunter recruitment efforts or any need for hunting seminars to get the hunter numbers you feel like you “need” They fixin  to take care of that lol. And it don’t matter if your in the extreme NE or West they will be coming.
     No need to mention the states name but if you hunted there this year you already seen first hand what the YT shows can do to what was unpressured states.

Offline derek

• The Boss Gobbler
    • The Bayside Legion
« Reply #81 on: June 20, 2020, 10:45:58 PM »
As a rookie/aspiring/growing/"wannabe" operator of a youtube channel, I really appreciate these kind of threads.  Quite honestly I learn a lot from them and it gets me thinking about things I may not have been thinking about before hand.  The topic of mentioning state names came up this spring while I was hunting a state that I'm guessing was where LaLongbeard just referenced.. hit hard by the big youtube channels last year and it was a mad house with people and non-gobbling turkeys.  I struggled.  Flat out.  I saw first hand the impact and have put a ton of thought and discussion into how we as a channel, (albeit on a much smaller scale) progress moving forward. 

Where my dilemma lies, is the pursuit of the state slam is the entire premise behind our "story".  We're traveling, and documenting our adventures.  Not all of that just lies in the turkey woods and involves some of the really awesome stuff you get to see on the road.  For instance, I have a western hunt that hasn't been posted yet.. there is a VERY obvious landmark that I had wanted to include because it was so cool to me as someone from the midatlantic.. I could see getting slammed for that, but what is not shown is how far I drove from my hunting area to get that picture - the viewer has no idea.  Maybe I turned around, maybe it was 8 hours away.  Our channel is about the journey, not just killing the turkey and that is what we were originally trying to show when we made the decision to film and make it available to all via the internet.  Self filming in foreign terrain can make the quality of the footage pretty rough at times, and if it were just another turkey video it probably wouldn't offer much.

We do try to be very selective with what we do and do not show as to not give much away about the area we're hunting, but there are places that if you've been there you will recognize and sometimes its hard to avoid.  Being pretty good at it ourselves, we're well aware of a hunters attention to detail and ability to break down pictures/videos and figure out a lot with only a little info presented.   

As far as not caring about blowing a state up because we're just pursuing the slam and moving on.  I don't see that as the case with us, as we very selfishly do care.  So many of these states I've already hunted I can't wait to get back in, and I wouldn't rule anything out as to when that occurs, could be next season just because I liked it so much, could be after I complete the slam.  Either way I want it to be just as memorable when I return.  I like to travel to turkey hunt and will continue to do so regardless of chasing a slam or not. 

I make no claims to have any of this figured out, like I said, it has generated a bunch of discussion between Bonce and I which I think is a good thing for our improvement regardless if we decide to drop the state mentions or not.. there are a ton of takeaways from threads like these and we're willing to learn - so thank you for that.

Derek 
« Last Edit: June 20, 2020, 11:56:58 PM by derek »

Offline LaLongbeard

• Double Beard
  • Louisiana
« Reply #82 on: June 21, 2020, 12:14:36 AM »
The Bayside legion is one of the only shows I still watch. Y’all stick to the hunting without the nonsense of some other shows. Haven’t seen any National forest road signs  either so it can be done.

Offline eggshell

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #83 on: June 21, 2020, 07:53:06 AM »
I have not seen a lot of out of state turkey hunters around me, but turkey hunting has been hugely impacted by the hunting shows. What has happened is the reputation we have for big deer, thanks to a lot of publicity. The deer hunters have come in swarms and they come with big money to spend. They have bought up and leased up land in huge chunks. Three of my neighbors have leased their land to out of State deer hunters, that's over a thousand acres right around my house that is now off limits to me for turkey hunting. Of course these clowns post the crap out of their lease, but oddly enough they often show up on my land. Right off the top of my head I can account for 2,000 acres lost to local hunters just in my neighborhood. I don't blame the landowners, when someone rolls in and offers you $20.00/ acre to just hunt a few days a year, it's easy money. The neighbor who joins me owns 900 acres and leases it all for 20.00/acre, that's $18,000.00 easy money, I don't blame him. Even my sister leased the family farm right out from under me. This never happened until TV and media started raving about our big deer.

Offline Wasp

« Reply #84 on: June 21, 2020, 12:47:23 PM »
Talking about the calling. I had a tendency to mimic some of the better callers on YT and not actual  hens.  If you listen to hens in the wild the yelp is much shorter than what you hear callers doing.  Not saying that bad calling doesn't result in a dead turkey, but don't fall into the trap I fell into and assume competition calling is what is representative of typical turkey vocalizations.

Offline catman529

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Run 'n Gunner
« Reply #85 on: June 21, 2020, 03:02:01 PM »
Talking about the calling. I had a tendency to mimic some of the better callers on YT and not actual  hens.  If you listen to hens in the wild the yelp is much shorter than what you hear callers doing.  Not saying that bad calling doesn't result in a dead turkey, but don't fall into the trap I fell into and assume competition calling is what is representative of typical turkey vocalizations.
I think most people practice mimicking other people’s calling rather than an actual hen turkey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro