OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

More on YouTube Turkey Hunting

Started by GobbleNut, May 30, 2020, 09:37:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

El Pavo Grande

:blob10:
Quote from: GobblinNC on June 01, 2020, 01:31:34 PM
I fear for the ramifications that social media, youtube, and loose lips on forums are having on the sport that we love.

BINGO!!

Howie g

Get a kill on film at all cost .
The sad thing is I'm seeing more of " them " and way less of "us"
And by " us " I mean folks that actually respect there quarry.

GobbleNut

Quote from: Pluffmud on June 01, 2020, 07:16:06 PM
I'm not gonna crucify those guys, or throw other YouTube hunters in the same boat as them, as I know beyond a reasonable doubt that most people on this site have made poor decisions as well, myself included. I do think that the shot was a poor decision. I also definitely would not have put the video up.

While I agree that most of us have probably used poor judgement and made some mistakes in our hunting careers (I know I have made my share), I would hope each of us would learn from those mistakes and strive not to make them again.  In the video in question, if you read the comments section, you will see that even though most of those comments condemn the video, the "host" just keeps defending it.  No apology or remorse for taking too long a shot, no apology for not taking care to realize there was a hen under the gobbler, stating over and over that they "knew for a fact" that the hen had not been seriously wounded,...and on and on. 

After all the negative comments, if the host had just shown any level of contrition about what happened, I could accept that and move on.  If they had just said,..."We didn't realize the gobbler was that far,...and we don't condone taking that long a shot,...and we didn't see the hen or we would never have shot,...and we are concerned that the hen may have been accidentally wounded and may not survive,...and we are sorry for all of it",...then I would forgive the incident. 

The fact that he just keeps defending the video and has not shown one bit of remorse about that video just pisses the sh*t out of me!  ...And the fact that they had the audacity to put it up on YouTube just magnifies my anger. 

As far as I know, this is the biggest turkey hunting forum on the internet.  I would bet there are folks that are associated with Realtree that are aware of it and probably check in to take "the pulse" of the turkey hunting community.  I hope they do, and if so, here is my position on it because it is the only real action I can take to show my displeasure with the show and the host.  I will personally not buy any more products from Realtree,...and I will encourage everybody I know to do the same,...starting with those here. 

That position will only change when and if there is some sort of public apology for that travesty of a video.  Sorry for the rant, but that's just how its gotta be for this old boy!

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: Jstocks on May 30, 2020, 11:58:33 PM
Not saying I ain't done some dumb stuff, but dadgum I'm glad it ain't on camera.

LOL!!!Agreed!! :icon_thumright:

Sent from deep in the woods where the critters roam.

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: Hobbes on May 31, 2020, 01:30:41 PM
Quote from: howl on May 31, 2020, 12:57:21 PM
Quote from: Hobbes on May 31, 2020, 11:23:38 AM
What I hear on the video doesn't sound quite like what I hear sitting there, but I seem to do alright killing them.

One thing I've noticed is that in my very limited filming experience with a camcorder, is that everything sounds different, my calling and even my voice. I think my calling is OK sounding, but when I hear it on video I don't like it. I also know guys who's calling sounds absolutely awful to me, yet they kill birds every year. I guess as long as it works and you kill birds, keep doing what you're doing.

Sent from deep in the woods where the critters roam.

LaLongbeard

Quote from: GobbleNut on June 02, 2020, 09:26:06 AM
I'm not gonna crucify those guys, or throw other YouTube hunters in the same boat as them, as I know beyond a reasonable doubt that most people on this site have made poor decisions as well, myself included. I do think that the shot was a poor decision. I also definitely would not have put the video up.

While I agree that most of us have probably used poor judgement and made some mistakes in our hunting careers (I know I have made my share), I would hope each of us would learn from those mistakes and strive not to make them again.  In the video in question, if you read the comments section, you will see that even though most of those comments condemn the video, the "host" just keeps defending it.  No apology or remorse for taking too long a shot, no apology for not taking care to realize there was a hen under the gobbler, stating over and over that they "knew for a fact" that the hen had not been seriously wounded,...and on and on. 

After all the negative comments, if the host had just shown any level of contrition about what happened, I could accept that and move on.  If they had just said,..."We didn't realize the gobbler was that far,...and we don't condone taking that long a shot,...and we didn't see the hen or we would never have shot,...and we are concerned that the hen may have been accidentally wounded and may not survive,...and we are sorry for all of it",...then I would forgive the incident. 

The fact that he just keeps defending the video and has not shown one bit of remorse about that video just pisses the sh*t out of me!  ...And the fact that they had the audacity to put it up on YouTube just magnifies my anger. 

As far as I know, this is the biggest turkey hunting forum on the internet.  I would bet there are folks that are associated with Realtree that are aware of it and probably check in to take "the pulse" of the turkey hunting community.  I hope they do, and if so, here is my position on it because it is the only real action I can take to show my displeasure with the show and the host.  I will personally not buy any more products from Realtree,...and I will encourage everybody I know to do the same,...starting with those here. 

That position will only change when and if there is some sort of public apology for that travesty of a video.  Sorry for the rant, but that's just how its gotta be for this old boy!

I agree. Let Realtree know that you don't approve of what they are sponsoring. When the THP was shooting dusting hens I let ONX and Woodhaven know in emails what I thought and that I was done with all of them. These Youtubers need to realize that it's a small minority of the hunters that are ok with some of this fanning/reaping long range shooting, wounding hen killing etc. The ones that these types of videos cater too are not serious hunters anyway and will probably quit or get bored or go back to playing video games when the fad dies down, and it will eventually.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

crow

Good post

kytrkyhntr

don't let the truth get in the way of a good story

eggshell

Collateral damage has long been an issue with me. I have seen many adjacent birds crippled  in youtube videos. There was one a year or two ago that clearly showed a gobbler dragging a wing as he ran away and not one single word was ever mentioned about it. They didn't look for the bird or anything. I think I posted about it here, but maybe I didn't. It " gobblenut's" level P.O. s me to this day. I always wait for a bird to clear. I have pulled off the bird I wanted to shoot a clear bird many times. There are times hunters aren't aware another bird is in the pattern, and that is not what I mean. I had this happen to me once and it upset me, but my buddy took off and  recovered the crippled bird, and he tagged it. So yes we all make mistakes, but intentionally doing it is wrong. It's when they shoot in a tight packed group of birds.

Marc

Yes, we have all made poor decisions...  Done things we are not proud of in the field.  But there is a big difference between making said mistake, and then posting it in a boastful manner on a public forum for all to see.

I will not condemn the terrible caller who does not hide well, or makes commotion at the blind, or the guy that misses a close bird, or the guy that bumps every bird that he hears...  As long as he is safe and ethical while hunting.  I have made all kinds of blunders in the field, and some of them would be comical for other hunters to see.   Heck, seeing some of the other mistakes hunters make can work as a vicarious learning experience...  But shooting an 80 yard tom, mounting a hen, and then bragging about it it, is not such a learning experience. 
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

GobblinNC

Agree. Well said

J-Shaped

To quote their own lingo of turkey slang from their videos, sounds like the Realtree folks need to explain, "Why he did what he did" in regard to the 80 yd shot, though it sounds like they are defending it already.

Not gonna get on my soapbox, but when I see things like this all I can think of are the new or less educated turkey hunters who see these things and feel they are in some way acceptable, merely because some TV "hunting celebrity" show pulled it off..........once.

fallhnt

Thunder Chickens gotta die....#80isthenew40

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Jbird22

Quote from: LaLongbeard on June 02, 2020, 10:37:59 AM
Let Realtree know that you don't approve of what they are sponsoring...
Watch this first ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2NYy0rdw50 ... You'll recognize the shooter as the owner of Realtree and his son as the one holding the strutter deke and bragging about the long shot using TSS, even though the turkey flew off and had to be searched for.

Rapscallion Vermilion

Another option for feedback

feedback@realtreeoutdoors.com