OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: More on YouTube Turkey Hunting  (Read 12101 times)

Offline TauntoHawk

• Paintbrush Beard
Re: More on YouTube Turkey Hunting
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2020, 11:59:08 AM »
On topic, yes many shows feature subpar calling and still kill birds. I would say locating birds and set up are far more important then the quality of sound but being better never hurt either so take pride if you are a great caller, and I can't enjoy a video regardless of footage if the calling is bad (it is intended as entertainment after all, don't watch if you don't enjoy)

To digress a little, many shows feature atrocious calling and use other instruments like decoys/blinds/and fans to kill birds, I won't pass judgement here on these subjects as they aren't the basis of the topic other than its not entertaining for me to watch (it is intended as entertainment after all, don't watch if you don't enjoy)

To further digress about the video attached:Spring thunder is the absolute worst, that guys has always been a terrible turkey hunter but now has a camera behind him, I swear this guys spent an intensive 12 week program at wild game nation learning how not to hunt, graduating with honors on "hunting for the wrong reasons 201" and "anything for the kill, editing away the mishaps"

I watch what I enjoy and don't watch anything else
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Offline Gentry

« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2020, 12:02:46 PM »
Completely unacceptable! Some people just don’t “get it”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline LaLongbeard

• Double Beard
  • Louisiana
« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2020, 12:12:29 PM »
Definitely looked like the hen took some shot really noway she didn’t. Just because she flapped off doesn’t mean she didn’t get a pellet  or several in her vitals. If everyone that is against such behavior would comment on the video and give it a thumbs down they will maybe get the message. I know the THP won’t be shooting anymore hens on video you can bank on that, and it is because of the negative feedback they received. These people’s whole income is based on sponsors and their “video” world. The only way to get their attention is to get in their pockets. The last thing they want is to have to get a real job. And what about the anti hunters ? Videos like that could turn the stomach of anybody let alone a tree hugger. And the worst of it is the low IQ masses that get their “hunting” instruction from YouTube will be attempting the same thing.

If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

Hobbes

« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2020, 12:18:04 PM »
I can't imagine thinking that can be justified.  I can maybe buy that mistakes are made, but I'm not buying their pathetic attempt at justification.  How the heck do you not own up to that being a terrible decision after showing it to the world.

Offline GobblinNC

« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2020, 01:31:34 PM »
I fear for the ramifications that social media, youtube, and loose lips on forums are having on the sport that we love.

Online silvestris

• Longbeard
« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2020, 01:42:53 PM »
I know of no law that says you are not allowed to shoot beyond a certain distance.  His 80 yard shot, like decoys and fanning, was legal, and legal means ethical.  Don’t get your panties in a wad.  Turkey hunting has changed.  Get with the program.
“[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer.”  Ken Morgan, “Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Offline deerhunt1988

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2020, 01:56:10 PM »
If that's what they're willing to show to everyone imagine whats they edit out. That's not likely the worst of their behavior.

I was thinking the same thing. Just disgusting.

Offline Happy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2020, 03:03:13 PM »
What do ya'll think about this one? 80 yard shot at a gobbler that is breeding a hen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k81k-G7S8VM&t=149s

I'm speechless.  First of all, I can't believe that these guys,...who are supposed to be experienced turkey hunters and supposedly have some level of notoriety,...would have EVER considered taking that shot. 

Secondly, the nonchalance when they realized there was a hen under that gobbler is totally unacceptable to me.  I accept the idea that they did not realize the hen was there due to the distance (which, again, should have been their first clue to not take that shot), but to then not go through the process of determining whether the hen was wounded with a thorough review of the video (which is inconclusive, but suggests that she might have been hit, as well) and a thorough search in the direction she went.  Assuming for a moment that perhaps they did indeed review the video and then look for the hen, the fact that they did not then talk about the incident and use it as a teaching moment on the video to explain the importance of clearly identifying the target and anything around it is doubly troubling to me. 

The bottom line is the participants in that video,...and the Realtree folks that allowed it to be aired,...should be totally ashamed of themselves.  Personally, I plan on giving them a "piece of my mind" about it,...and I hope plenty of other turkey hunters do the same!
Didnt watch the video. What impresses me is that even though he was speechless, ol gobblenut said an awful lot!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Offline NCL

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2020, 03:10:24 PM »
Agree with all the comments regarding that video. I gave the video a thumbs down, Can not believe that was even posted.

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2020, 03:43:34 PM »
What do ya'll think about this one? 80 yard shot at a gobbler that is breeding a hen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k81k-G7S8VM&t=149s

I'm speechless.  First of all, I can't believe that these guys,...who are supposed to be experienced turkey hunters and supposedly have some level of notoriety,...would have EVER considered taking that shot. 

Secondly, the nonchalance when they realized there was a hen under that gobbler is totally unacceptable to me.  I accept the idea that they did not realize the hen was there due to the distance (which, again, should have been their first clue to not take that shot), but to then not go through the process of determining whether the hen was wounded with a thorough review of the video (which is inconclusive, but suggests that she might have been hit, as well) and a thorough search in the direction she went.  Assuming for a moment that perhaps they did indeed review the video and then look for the hen, the fact that they did not then talk about the incident and use it as a teaching moment on the video to explain the importance of clearly identifying the target and anything around it is doubly troubling to me. 

The bottom line is the participants in that video,...and the Realtree folks that allowed it to be aired,...should be totally ashamed of themselves.  Personally, I plan on giving them a "piece of my mind" about it,...and I hope plenty of other turkey hunters do the same!
Didnt watch the video. What impresses me is that even though he was speechless, ol gobblenut said an awful lot!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Just imagine how long that post would have been if I hadn't been speechless!  :) 
(Don't watch the video because it will probably just piss you off like it did me)...

Offline Marc

• Double Beard
« Reply #40 on: June 01, 2020, 03:44:17 PM »
That hen was hit, I don't watch youtube stars, and that's only one reason why.

I watched the video...  Hit the dislike button, and pointed out this very fact (that the hen was likely hit) on a comment I made on the video.  I also made it clear that I would avoid watching any more of their videos.  Everyone watching this video should hit that dislike button, and make a negative comment...  What a turd.

As to the OP...  I have watched some videos on YouTube on duck hunting, and turkey hunting...  I am constantly amazed at what some people can get away with and still kill a turkey (or a duck), but there are some good hunters posting, and some wholesome videos, as well as some complete trash.

While the technicality of calling is important to some degree (probably more important on pressured birds), timing is probably more important...  When to call, when NOT to call, what calls to make at which times, how loud or aggressive the calling is, etc...

I have hunted ranches, where I could probably wear a chicken suit and walk around clucking and crowing, and kill a bird...  These days the areas I hunt have much lower populations that are hunted much harder.

What always gets me is the conversation...  Turkeys can hear a mouse poop, and yet people seem to feel comfortable having conversations while turkey hunting???  I also feel turkeys can hear whispering...  Maybe some birds ignore it, but I have to think that are a fair number heavily pressured birds are bumped long before the hunters even know there was a threat....
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Online Dtrkyman

• Double Beard
« Reply #41 on: June 01, 2020, 04:03:45 PM »
Easiest bird to kill is a vocal “hot” bird!   Poor calling or not!

Calling position is crucial!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Jstocks

« Reply #42 on: June 01, 2020, 04:59:38 PM »
How do you leave a negative comment?
I gave them the thumbs down, but couldn’t figure out the comment section.

The hen definitely looked shot to me, but maybe she was just disoriented through the whole process. I really don’t care.

It looks to me that the guy isn’t really an experienced turkey hunter. This type of behavior further encourages this nonsense from inexperienced persons participating in the future.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2020, 07:17:22 PM by Jstocks »

Offline LaLongbeard

• Double Beard
  • Louisiana
« Reply #43 on: June 01, 2020, 05:22:04 PM »
I didn’t watch the whole video but I’m guessing he was shooting the latest super duper gotta have it TSS loads. And if you believe half of what the TSS crowd claims then the pellets penetrated thru the Gobbler the hen was right under the Gobbler not real hard to figure out the rest. As for as them not knowing the Gobbler was breeding a hen that’s BS or they are stupid.....or maybe both.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

Offline Pluffmud

« Reply #44 on: June 01, 2020, 07:16:06 PM »
I'm not gonna crucify those guys, or throw other YouTube hunters in the same boat as them, as I know beyond a reasonable doubt that most people on this site have made poor decisions as well, myself included. I do think that the shot was a poor decision. I also definitely would not have put the video up.
Psalm 46:10