OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Trying out mouth calls

Started by Meleagris gallopavo, May 26, 2020, 09:44:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Meleagris gallopavo

Well I purchased a few beginner packs of mouth calls from custom call makers recommended on this site.  The first set came in and I tried some of them out the first day and picked a couple that seemed easier to make noise with.  Been working with them for several days when driving my truck after watching some videos.  I take the first one out of the next pack and it's like the first day I tried one.  The size, shape and fit certainly make a huge difference.  The second set is smaller and I can't keep the call straight in my mouth when trying to make noise.  After a while I figured out how to do it, but it's definitely harder.  Makes me wonder if the pros have a hard time switching call makers.  Maybe folks get a brand that seems to work for them and stick with it.  What's been your experience?
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

paboxcall

I do not have trouble switching between mouth call makers, but I do need to trim a bit off the tape along the sides and back for a better seal on nearly all I have run.

That said I prefer a few callmakers over commercially available mouth calls though for quality of sound I can produce.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

rakkin6

I am the same way, I need a little wider call.  For commercial calls woodhaven, Zink, Primos all work good for me. For custom Houndstooth, David Halloran, Hooks work good also. I tried a Gooserbat but his calls are a little more long and narrow and I was having trouble running them. I have him a call and he sent me some uncut ones and I trimmed them myself and they work great.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Meleagris gallopavo

I think I'm gonna experiment with different calls and find a sweet spot tape size and see if I can get the custom call makers to send uncut calls and trim them.  I've still got a long way to go before figuring that out.  Of the calls I've tried the Gooserbat calls are the easiest for me to use right out of the box.

GobbleNut

Quote from: Meleagris gallopavo on May 26, 2020, 09:44:09 PM
  Makes me wonder if the pros have a hard time switching call makers. 

Most of the "pros" make their own calls,....which is what I recommend anybody that wants to really excel at using mouth calls do.  Of course, you are not at that stage yet,...but keep it in mind for the future.  Over the long haul, it will save you a lot of money,...and grief. 

Hoot 000

Whatever works best for you, I ran into Walter Parrott in Birmingham Alabama at the world championship one year don't recall what year that was now probably been over 10 years. We discussed Preston Pittman because when I introduce myself I told him where I was from and I live not too far from where Preston was raised then the subject turn to what type of calls he uses, I never did find out the brand but he pulled some out of his pocket and they had absolutely no tape on them just the frame I believe I asked him if he was not finished with those calls he told me that's what he used to call with, like I said whatever works the best for you

rakkin6

Quote from: Hoot 000 on May 27, 2020, 10:23:28 PM
Whatever works best for you, I ran into Walter Parrott in Birmingham Alabama at the world championship one year don't recall what year that was now probably been over 10 years. We discussed Preston Pittman because when I introduce myself I told him where I was from and I live not too far from where Preston was raised then the subject turn to what type of calls he uses, I never did find out the brand but he pulled some out of his pocket and they had absolutely no tape on them just the frame I believe I asked him if he was not finished with those calls he told me that's what he used to call with, like I said whatever works the best for you
Completely agree with you, I think once you find what works you will know what to look for. I just found a need a little wider tape to get that good seal. If it is to narrow I just sound like I am a drowning turkey lol.

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Meleagris gallopavo

Quote from: rakkin6 on May 28, 2020, 12:57:04 AM
Quote from: Hoot 000 on May 27, 2020, 10:23:28 PM
Completely agree with you, I think once you find what works you will know what to look for. I just found a need a little wider tape to get that good seal. If it is to narrow I just sound like I am a drowning turkey lol.

LOL!  I feel like I'm slowly killing a chicken on mine right now.