OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Crystal or glass call "expansions"

Started by Meleagris gallopavo, May 08, 2020, 03:13:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Meleagris gallopavo

I have a Halloran Crystal Mistress that I like.  The scored surface that it comes with is about the size of a postage stamp, which is okay.  I see some of these calls that do not come scored.  Has anyone expanded the scored area of a call that already has it?  Would it be okay to add areas that are scored differently for different sounds?
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

yelpy

I don't see why not but resale value will drop.

bbcoach

If you bought it to hunt with, then have at it.  If you bought it to put it on a shelf and look PURTY, then leave it as you got it.  I buy mine to hunt with.  My 2 cents. 

wvmntnhick

Quote from: bbcoach on May 08, 2020, 05:40:09 PM
If you bought it to hunt with, then have at it.  If you bought it to put it on a shelf and look PURTY, then leave it as you got it.  I buy mine to hunt with.  My 2 cents.
^^^This
I bought a glass call from a maker here and enlarged the playing portion to make it easier for me to play it while not looking at it. No plan to sell it so it doesn't matter. My Yingling crystal I conditioned half of the surface. Calls that I've bought as "trade" material, I leave alone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LaLongbeard

I have two spots conditioned on my Crystal mistress I use different strikers for each spot.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

Greg Massey

It's all up to the individual , if you want a larger spot or more than one , go for it ... I personally have never seen reason to expand the spot on my pot calls glass or crystal ...