OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Learn From My Mistakes!! (kind of) GRAPHIC  (Read 1194 times)

Offline Josh_Alloy_Calls

Learn From My Mistakes!! (kind of) GRAPHIC
« on: May 26, 2020, 04:43:38 PM »
I figured I would share this here so that everyone can learn from my mistakes!!
I was sanding my striker tops on my belt sander prior to clearing them, and I was using an over-sized Webbwood dowel (+.010) as a mandrel on my cordless drill.  This is my portable lathe!!  I have done this MANY times, and I guess I was getting complacent.

I have been using the same dowel for at least a year, and I have sanded many striker tops on it.  Every time I sand up close to the dowel (smallest diameter of top), the belt on the sander hits it just a little bit and leaves a small mark.  As you can imagine, a lot of small gouges can turn into one big gouge over time and weaken it significantly.

I was moving on to a new top, and was pressing it on the dowel when it broke.  All the force I was using drove the broken dowel into my left hand, I am guessing it broke off after the fact but I didn't have to break it myself.  I was left with a little splinter in my hand made of Webbwood.

Luckily, my wife is a nurse and I was able to get her assistance.  The splinter came out with relative ease, and I think it all came out in one piece.  We don't anticipate any long term effects from this, as I appear to have full nerve function and range of motion.

My main take away from this accident is this:
Pay attention to your tools, and replace them when they get past their usable life.  I could have easily turned another mandrel and only been out a few minutes of time, but I guess I needed to learn this lesson the hard way.

Admins, if this picture is too much, feel free to take it down. 

Y'all stay safe out there!!
Josh

Offline BigSlam51

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: Learn From My Mistakes!! (kind of) GRAPHIC
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2020, 06:29:05 PM »
Hope it heals up good. Why not sand your tops on a regular lathe?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Re: Learn From My Mistakes!! (kind of) GRAPHIC
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2020, 07:53:33 PM »
Man , i know that had to hurt... agree hope it heals ..