turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

12 gauge 3” vs 3.5” in hand loaded TSS?

Started by RiverRoost, May 25, 2020, 02:05:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RiverRoost

Got a few Nitro HTL left to shoot through in my 12ga, but if I wanted to start handloading tss for my 12 what would be the best shell length to not be SUPER OVERKILL with a 12 and tss? Load a hammer of 3" with tss or a decent payload in 3.5"? 

paboxcall

Why just those two options? There are recipes for the 2.75" shell which is plenty to hammer them. For perspective, I'm shooting a 2.75" shell with 1 3/8oz. of TSS 9s out of my 20 gauge that flattens them.

With the 2.75" shell in your 12, you get max velocity with plenty of payload to get the job done, and bit tamer recoil to boot with a smaller payload stretching out our TSS inventory.

:z-twocents:
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

bbcoach

I agree with Boxcall.  TSS in 3 and 3 1/2 12 gauge is way overkill.  If I was going to hand load a 12 with TSS, it would be a 2 3/4.  A good 2 3/4, with a 1 1/4 or 1 1/2 oz load of #9's would be ideal IMO.

Spurs Up

What these two said. Lower pressures, higher velocity, easier to pattern, and more...

N2TRKYS

I shoot 2.5oz of #7.5s in my 12ga 3.5".  It's an awesome load. 
83% of all statistics are made up.

BandedSpur

Lots of good 2.75" recipes with 2 oz of shot. That is way more than enough. I load 1.625 oz for my 12 ga, and they will kill as far as I am interested in shooting. And for that matter, the 1.25 oz load I shoot in the top barrel of my O/U is lethal to 40 yds (110 in 10) through a LM choke.

Gobble!

Quote from: N2TRKYS on May 25, 2020, 10:56:01 PM
I shoot 2.5oz of #7.5s in my 12ga 3.5".  It's an awesome load.

I'm shooting that load with a 8.75/9 blend. Still young and dumb.

Brian Fahs

I shoot 2 1/2 ounces of #7.5 tss out of my remington sp-10. Overkill? Yes. Confidence in my gun? Absolutely.

With today's trends of smaller guns and smaller loads of even smaller tss shot, I feel like we are pushing the limits constantly of a fast efficient kill.