OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Benelli click  (Read 8495 times)

Offline decoykrvr

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: Benelli click
« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2020, 05:03:37 PM »
A Benelli shotgun doesn't think, it's a machine which when operated properly works properly.  Failure by the operator to properly place the firearm into battery or mounted firmly on the shoulder will result in a failure to function.  I've had a SBE for 30 years, one of the original H&K imported Benelli shotguns, and the only time i've ever experienced the "click" was when I was placing a 4th shell on the carrier and not letting the bolt move fully forward into battery.  I don't need a lecture on the hazard and legality of the 4th shell trick, which is well in my past, but the problem was not w/ the shotgun. but w/ me.  After shooting thousands of rounds including a lot of both 3" and 3 1/2" waterfowl shells my gun went back to Benelli last year for a tune-up which included all new springs and worked flawlessly all last season.  Keep your gun clean, sparingly use a teflon based lube, ensure the firearm is placed into battery by letting the bolt close from the release and you won't ever hear a "click".

Offline the Ward

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2020, 03:05:15 PM »
I've never experienced the "Benelli Click" after 9 years of hard use. And a Benelli doesn't need to be mounted firm to the shoulder to function, either. I have no idea how that could happen, but i do hear about it. I can put the extended tube magazine (can also with standard mag tube) in my Vinci, load it up with cheap target loads and fire every round one handed with no failures. Also you can shoot from hip' and it will still cycle fine. Can you experience a "click" from a benelli? Sure can if it is out of battery. So can other auto shotguns, and not just rotating bolt head guns, either. Don't bounce the gun like a pogo stick off the ground and don't ease the bolt forward so gently that the bolt doesn't rotate into battery. Ea Good luck and hope you have many a successful hunt!

Offline Jtschweizer

« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2021, 07:17:18 PM »
The benelli click usually happens when someone shuts their action to slowly or it gets snagged on clothing, limbs, trees, turkey vest, etc.  What’s happening here is the bolt hasn’t completely rotated  into battery or the upwards position. An easy way to make sure your bolt is good to go and you won’t get the click is to make sure your extractor is pointing up when looked at from the side of your ejection port. I have shot many a thousand of rounds thru benelli shotguns and have learned to subconsciously check my extractor being in the upward position.

Offline Bamaslayer757

« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2021, 11:14:53 PM »
It straight up cost me a bird last year as I called two across a cornfield and over a little bridge to our laps at 15 yards. Buddy shot his and then mine clicked...I slammed mine at the truck because it happened to one of my buddies a week prior but it must have snagged or hung up on something when we had to make a move on the birds. I just about bent my new montefeltro around a tree I was so mad lol Now everytime I sit down I check it.

Offline turkey_slayer

• Longbeard
  • SouthWest VA
« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2021, 01:29:32 AM »
There's two things. One is you can close it quietly by easing the bolt forward with your right hand and when it's almost shut use your left hand to manually rotate the bolt head. You do not have to let the bolt slam forward.

Two. Get a stiffer spring. I believe the reason for a lot of the clicks is the bolt coming out of battery while walking. I hunt some steep stuff and when going downhill the bounce will knock it out of battery. Haven't had a problem since switching to a stiffer spring and that's been quite a few years ago 

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Offline outdoorsmen

« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2021, 09:41:14 PM »
I've deer and turkey, duck and goose hunted with benelli for years and have never had the click.  Why....cause I know how to prevent it.  You can let the bolt slam shut or you ease it home gently and rotate the bolt head with your finger.  Then throughout the day double check the bolt in case you bumped it and didn't know it.  It's never been a problem.

Offline sasquatch1

• The Boss Gobbler
Benelli click
« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2021, 09:04:43 AM »

Offline AndyN

« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2021, 11:16:39 AM »
With the +25% spring I've had zero issues. With the original spring it would occasionally hang up on straight overhead shots while waterfowl hunting. Catching on the door of a layout blind would occasionally happen too. I also found that some brands of shells have a slightly bulged crimp that would cause issues with cycling due to the tight tolerances of the benelli. For strictly a turkey gun I'd buy the wolf spring and don't worry about the click. I've got an old HK/Benelli SL80 that has never skipped a beat, could just be my gun.

Offline AndyN

« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2021, 11:22:00 AM »
If looking for an all around gun I'd consider the X3 or 4. I find the M2 a little light for swinging shots on birds but it's a dream to carry around turkey hunting. I run an carlsons longbeard choke with longbeard 6s. Getting 130 in the 10 at 40 yds and took a couple birds just past 40 last year.

Online kwild835

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2021, 01:15:08 PM »
If looking for an all around gun I'd consider the X3 or 4. I find the M2 a little light for swinging shots on birds but it's a dream to carry around turkey hunting. I run an carlsons longbeard choke with longbeard 6s. Getting 130 in the 10 at 40 yds and took a couple birds just past 40 last year.
This^^

Offline DBuck90

« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2021, 11:39:25 PM »
Thanks everyone for all the advice/Info I was finally able to run some dove loads at first it didn’t want to cycle but I expected that with 2-3/4 shell after the 5 shell it cycled them just fine I have order a trigger and hammer spring from Taran tactical now just to run some TSS down her