OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Literature or vids on Ben Lee?  (Read 3776 times)

Offline Mossberg90MN

• The Boss Gobbler
Literature or vids on Ben Lee?
« on: May 22, 2020, 11:30:22 PM »
Just wondering if there are any books out there by Ben Rodgers Lee? Or videos? This is gonna sound bad but I just discovered him, and now I’m extremely interested in learning more of Ben Lee. Thanks In Advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Jstocks

Re: Literature or vids on Ben Lee?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2020, 11:32:07 PM »
Jim Casada has some books for sale.

Online joey46

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2020, 03:14:44 AM »
I have/had a VCR tape of his about deer hunting.  I seldom throw anything like that away.  I'll look tomorrow. 

Offline LaLongbeard

• Double Beard
  • Louisiana
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2020, 09:22:36 AM »
Ben Lee made a few audio tapes on Turkey hunting I have them on cd, as well as a couple books. The vhs tapes are hard to come by.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2020, 10:21:41 AM »
Didn't he also make few how to tapes on using calls etc.. ?

Offline Mossberg90MN

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2020, 01:46:45 PM »
Ben Lee made a few audio tapes on Turkey hunting I have them on cd, as well as a couple books. The vhs tapes are hard to come by.
I think I did find 1 or 2 vhs tapes on eBay. I’m probably gonna have to scoop those up and buy a DVD player.

It’s pretty tough to find stuff on him.

Online joey46

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2020, 04:22:50 PM »
I have/had a VCR tape of his about deer hunting.  I seldom throw anything like that away.  I'll look tomorrow.

Haven't found it yet.  I remember it is "Hunting the Rut".  It will eventually turn up.

Offline Stickbow98

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2020, 06:28:51 PM »
I met Ben Lee at a seminar he gave in Pa. in the late 70’s right about the time I graduated high school. The man was hilarious and damn, could he talk turkey!! He and Dick Kirby are the 2 men I “blame” for my addiction to chasing gobbles for nearly 45 years now.
I still have a mint 45 record of Ben instructing on how to make the different sounds of turkeys and their meanings. I also have a copy that I must have played and called along to a million times!  :TooFunny:
His book “The Turkey Hunting World of Ben Rodgers Lee” is a great read, a collection of stories by him about his life, hunting tactics and humor. Hard to find, but Jim Casada May be able to locate it for you.

"Have Bow & Benelli....Will Travel!"

Offline Jstocks

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2020, 06:45:45 PM »
https://www.amazon.com/turkey-hunting-world-Ben-Lee/dp/B000726M8A

Offline GobbleGitr

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2020, 07:38:30 PM »
In addition to the book 'The Turkey Hunting World of Ben Lee' which you simply must have (and don't be put off that he preaches body shooting turkeys...things have changed since that book was written), the book 'Spring Gobblers' by John Lowther has "expert advice from Ben Lee" but that book is hard to come by.  In 1989 Ben Rodgers Lee put out a VHS 'Turkey Hunting With Ben Lee and Friends' which is fun now to watch.  I have a number of records and audiocassetes he did as well...keep an eye out as they pop up.  I have some of of his old catalogs as well, time capsules now!

Online Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2020, 09:31:42 PM »
I got very luck and was able to get a copy on Amazon for a very reasonable price, was even delivered on my birthday.

Ben Lee Boox by Sir-diealot, on Flickr
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2020, 09:37:13 PM »
Couple of items on ebay - Ben Lee mouth calling record and World champion turkey calling techniques ...

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2020, 09:57:46 PM »
Every time I hear his name I think of the time I watched a seminar of his. Throughout he talked openly and repeatedly of poaching and breaking the law. Was an embarrassment. Idk why no one talks about this but you wanted to know about Ben Lee. That was him

Offline Mossberg90MN

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2020, 11:02:22 PM »
Every time I hear his name I think of the time I watched a seminar of his. Throughout he talked openly and repeatedly of poaching and breaking the law. Was an embarrassment. Idk why no one talks about this but you wanted to know about Ben Lee. That was him
Ah man, no way! Really??

Offline Mossberg90MN

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2020, 11:03:35 PM »
Man $100 for that book is pretty steep. I’m gonna have to keep an eye out on eBay or something for some at a better price.

From what little snippets I’ve read he seems to be a major wealth of knowledge about turkeys and turkey hunting.

Bummer about that poaching stuff...