OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Literature or vids on Ben Lee?

Started by Mossberg90MN, May 22, 2020, 11:30:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GobbleNut

Quote from: LaLongbeard on May 24, 2020, 05:42:46 PM
One of his stories from his audio tapes he tells how he got all zeros for his last call in a calling contest. He was in Pennsylvania I think, he asked the judges about the zeros they said they'd never heard a hen cackle. Ben asked how many Turkeys the judges had killed they answered one or a few each, Ben let's them know he'd killed 5 Gobblers in a day using the cackle. 

Yeah, one of old Ben's claims to fame was his "discovery" of the cackle.  He claimed that it was the "true mating call" of the wild turkey hen.  We hunted for years back in the 70's thinking the cackle was the end-all key to success.  Learned the hard way that Ben's claim about turkeys not being able to resist the cackle was a "slight" exaggeration. 

Like I said before, we learned to take Ben's "theories" on turkey hunting with a big old dose of salt. Can't argue with his success "way back when" but I would love to see how he would deal with today's hunting conditions.  Having said that, he was the first real "character" we had in the turkey hunting world.  :)

crow

Quote from: GobbleNut on May 25, 2020, 07:53:01 AM
Quote from: LaLongbeard on May 24, 2020, 05:42:46 PM
One of his stories from his audio tapes he tells how he got all zeros for his last call in a calling contest. He was in Pennsylvania I think, he asked the judges about the zeros they said they'd never heard a hen cackle. Ben asked how many Turkeys the judges had killed they answered one or a few each, Ben let's them know he'd killed 5 Gobblers in a day using the cackle. 

Yeah, one of old Ben's claims to fame was his "discovery" of the cackle.  He claimed that it was the "true mating call" of the wild turkey hen.  We hunted for years back in the 70's thinking the cackle was the end-all key to success.  Learned the hard way that Ben's claim about turkeys not being able to resist the cackle was a "slight" exaggeration. 

Like I said before, we learned to take Ben's "theories" on turkey hunting with a big old dose of salt. Can't argue with his success "way back when" but I would love to see how he would deal with today's hunting conditions.  Having said that, he was the first real "character" we had in the turkey hunting world.  :)

There is a book "44 years in the life of a hunter by Meshach Browning" written in the mid 1800's where he calls in a spring gobbler by using the cackle of a hen, so nothing new there in Ben Lee's time, maybe just rediscovered