turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Anyone hunt Michigan???

Started by WylieCoyote, April 30, 2020, 09:31:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dtrkyman

Trappers are typically the best woodsman, if hes a legit trapper you are in good hands!

WylieCoyote

Quote from: Dtrkyman on May 04, 2020, 08:00:23 AM
Trappers are typically the best woodsman, if hes a legit trapper you are in good hands!
This is true.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

WylieCoyote

Quote from: Dtrkyman on May 03, 2020, 02:18:53 PM
I have access this year to a small piece of private in the thumb area, supposed to have lots of birds and there are also a couple public pieces in the area.

Good thing is the private has a place to stay!
What time you want me to pick you up?

GobbleNut

Quote from: WylieCoyote on May 04, 2020, 08:03:06 AM
This is true.

This may well be true,...but the operative phrase in this case is the "he can get me on a lot of private ground" statement.  :laugh:

WylieCoyote

Quote from: GobbleNut on May 04, 2020, 08:11:26 AM
This is true.

This may well be true,...but the operative phrase in this case is the "he can get me on a lot of private ground" statement. 
This is a fact

0369GYSGT

I"ve been an avid turkey hunter for 20 years and live in Michigan.  My advice is to carefully select the hunting dates and area you want to hunt before you purchase your tag.  We have private land licenses only, public land only and a combination of both.  There are state game areas everywhere and all state game areas hold turkeys.  I've been to alot of state game areas in the mid Michigan area in the last week and everywhere I've gone I've heard and seen gobblers.  I enjoy calling for others and get satisifaction seeing others bag their first turkey.  Right now, the gobblers are hanging up.  Be patient and those distant gobblers will eventually appear, many times silent.

AndyH

Quote from: GobbleNut on May 04, 2020, 08:11:26 AM
This is true.

This may well be true,...but the operative phrase in this case is the "he can get me on a lot of private ground" statement.  :laugh:
I don't have any reason to doubt his ability to get me permission on private ground. If nothing else I'll hunt the two farms he and his family own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

deerhunt1988

Public ground in ZF was a absolutely overflowing with people this weekend. dont think I've ever saw so many folks using public land. Pressure slacked off some after the weekend though.

redjones

From what I have been hearing and reading so far this years Turkey season has been a circus in Michigan.
Normal tags sold out and another 50,000 that they never sell out of are gone also.
Not sure but this year might come back and bite the state in the rump,as far harvest.

Greg
Semper Fi

Roost 1

My buddy tells me it's been a circus with all the non essentials off work and not being allowed to fish.
Like mentioned above the extra 50,000 tags that never sell out, sold out. Guys everywhere riding roads, sxs, 4 wheelers, people walking, mushroom hunters, etc. All this coming from a guy in an area with very little hunting pressure or human intrusion normally.  Might be a good year to sit out.

WylieCoyote

I'm adhering to the don't go to Michigan advice for this year.... Next spring, I'm busting the gates wide open lol.

AndyH

Just got back from Michigan, while I didn't kill a bird, I did have an opportunity but tried to get greedy an pull off a double with my buddy and ended up not getting a shot. Lots of turkeys in the area I was in. I hunted all private ground that doesn't get hunted hardly at all. Heard lots of gobbling in the morning while they were still in the tree but once their feet hit the ground the gobbling was over. Seen multiple gobblers in fields everyday with multiple hens. Michigan is definitely in my top 5 states to hunt, I'll definitely be back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dtrkyman

I made it up there, no action on the private but found some birds on public and killed one the first nice morning, he took me for a ride and I had him in range at one point in some grass with no shot. He worked off and I lost him for a bit and set up where I last heard him, couple soft calls and he came in silent!

Not much as far as pressure, few guys here and there. 

mihunte

I live in Michigan and still grinding it out. It's been real tough the last five days with little to no gobbling. Huge increase in pressure this year as everywhere else, which has me concerned for the coming years especially with the fact I've seen very few jakes in my area.