OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Aluminum surface

Started by turkeystrut, May 21, 2020, 08:52:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Southerngobbler

There was an Enticer aluminum on the classified section this morning. It didn't last long. Good thing someone bought it; it was about to cost me $40

BigSlam51

Quote from: turkeystrut on May 22, 2020, 09:27:10 PM
Fellers ,I am seriously thinking about getting a aluminum surface call,I have heard a few that sound good, but I didn't know what type of aluminum surface it was to the other day heard about a stone surface.I don't  know what callmakers  makes a good one.I heard the  kee kee run on them and it sound pretty dang good.So I thank you guys for helping me out. :thanks:
I sent you a pm, with my cell phone number. I have 2 anodized aluminum calls available.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Turkeytider

Quote from: Southerngobbler on May 23, 2020, 10:40:38 AM
There was an Enticer aluminum on the classified section this morning. It didn't last long. Good thing someone bought it; it was about to cost me $40

A very good call IMO. Took two turkeys the past two seasons with it, one with soft calling in the afternoon on the corian backside of the call, the other with some louder clucks and yelps on the front side. He came probably 100 yards like he was on a rope. Both were in dry weather even though I bought the call originally as mainly a wet weather call!

Dtrkyman

I had an aluminum once, was that mad calls original version, I guess guys look for them?  Best thing besides giving it to a kid to learn to use was possibly putting it in a clay pidgeon launcher!

A friend of mine has an amazing sounding aluminum, not sure who makes it?

I was purely a slate guy for a long time, now my favorite is a crystal mistress!

West Augusta

Anodizing isn't just color on the surface.  It's an electrochemical process.  Makes the surface harder and more durable.  They often add color after the anodizing process.

https://www.anodizing.org/page/what-is-anodizing

I love both plain and anodized pots.  Loud and proud.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

rakkin6

I have a few of each. They both have there qualities. I have the Atomic-13 which is anodized and the Lonzo stoned in acrylic. They both sound great but different.  Pretty much all I do on the Trice is hit it with a cotton ball dipped in acetone (this is what Mr. Trice recommended when I received it from him at the NWTF). At the begining of the season I take an old pill container and fill it with them typically lasts the whole season. The Atomic-13 I just hit with an alcohol pad occasionally. I do run a green scotch Brite across the Atomic-13 occasionally just seems to get a better note to me. In the picture the Lonzo stoned is on the top left and the Atomic-13 is on the bottom left just to give you an idea of what they look like.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

2nd 100

I'm a big fan of stoned (raw) aluminum I really don't care for an anodized surface , just my preference . I clean stoned with a scotchbrite pad and anodized with a alcohol pad . Now here goes alot of lessons learned .... I strike alot of turkeys with Glass calls but almost always swap to a slate to finish them to the gun , its just always worked for me ( I never noticed it until Mr Harrold Fowler brought it up to me back in the 90's playing calls at his Home ). But when I ran aluminum and that started mid 1990 's I didn't change up , Strike them and bring them all the way to the gun with the stoned aluminum . I have a Supreme turkey calls Osage / Alum that is just plain death on all the sub species, Just watched to many turn around 180 degrees and March to their death with it . I don't leave GA without it ! All the surfaces have their place and time , But MY preference is Slate , Aluminum , Glass , Crystal and then Ceramics , I know Copper is alot of peoples favorite but it is my least favorite , just never seem to get it conditioned correctly gets slick very quick and never reaches the tone I am looking for .

paboxcall

I have a plain Quaker Boy aluminum in a black plastic pot I found for $5 on a clearance table. It just sings and birds will hammer on it.

I have a 3.5" green anodized aluminum call I've been running for 15 years, actually wore the green color off from conditioning it. Thing gets smooth quick riding in the vest.

How does everyone else preserve the color when they condition?
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Loyalist84

Quote from: turkeystrut on May 22, 2020, 09:27:10 PM
Fellers ,I am seriously thinking about getting a aluminum surface call,I have heard a few that sound good, but I didn't know what type of aluminum surface it was to the other day heard about a stone surface.I don't  know what callmakers  makes a good one.I heard the  kee kee run on them and it sound pretty dang good.So I thank you guys for helping me out. :thanks:

Jimmy Schaffer makes an aluminum call with a surface that is stoned with a black anodized surface - wicked easy to play and has great sound.

bbcoach

Quote from: 2nd 100 on June 01, 2020, 02:11:20 AM
I'm a big fan of stoned (raw) aluminum I really don't care for an anodized surface , just my preference . I clean stoned with a scotchbrite pad and anodized with a alcohol pad . Now here goes alot of lessons learned .... I strike alot of turkeys with Glass calls but almost always swap to a slate to finish them to the gun , its just always worked for me ( I never noticed it until Mr Harrold Fowler brought it up to me back in the 90's playing calls at his Home ). But when I ran aluminum and that started mid 1990 's I didn't change up , Strike them and bring them all the way to the gun with the stoned aluminum . I have a Supreme turkey calls Osage / Alum that is just plain death on all the sub species, Just watched to many turn around 180 degrees and March to their death with it . I don't leave GA without it ! All the surfaces have their place and time , But MY preference is Slate , Aluminum , Glass , Crystal and then Ceramics , I know Copper is alot of peoples favorite but it is my least favorite , just never seem to get it conditioned correctly gets slick very quick and never reaches the tone I am looking for .
Just put an order in for a Darrin Dawkins Stoned Aluminum in a plastic pot.  Looking forward to adding a high pitched, rough surfaced aluminum call to my vest.  I've heard the call on You Tube and love how it breaks and pops. 

Tennessee Lead

Quote from: bbcoach on June 02, 2020, 04:51:52 PM
Just put an order in for a Darrin Dawkins Stoned Aluminum in a plastic pot.  Looking forward to adding a high pitched, rough surfaced aluminum call to my vest.  I've heard the call on You Tube and love how it breaks and pops.
You done well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bbcoach

Quote from: bbcoach on June 02, 2020, 04:51:52 PM
Well Darrin Dawkins Stoned Aluminum just came in the mail today.  I just finished running it with multiple strikers and it will DEFINITELY be in my vest next spring.  This call is ALL turkey!  The rough aluminum surface is so easy to play.  The call comes with a Heavy Dymondwood striker but plays well with my favorite birch laminate and a hand full of other strikers.  The call has a high pitched, very raspy flavor.  The rollover is fantastic and very easy to obtain.  It plays really loud but you can get really soft yelps, clucks and purrs with it as well with very little striker pressure.  The thing I like about this call the most is the Cutts.  They just POP from this pot!  Looking forward to seeing how the birds respond to it next spring.  Thanks Darrin!