OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Barrell length  (Read 1788 times)

Offline Meleagris gallopavo

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • I struggle, but still succeed...
Barrell length
« on: April 30, 2020, 02:12:05 PM »
Hi folks.  How important is barrel length for a turkey gun?  Most factory turkey guns I see have 24" or shorter barrels.  Only reason I like the shorter barrel is because it's easier to maneuver in the brush or wherever I make my set up.  That being said, I've killed most of my turkeys with a Benelli Super Vinci with a 28" barrel. 
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

Offline WyoHunter

• Double Beard
  • NRA Life Member
Re: Barrell length
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2020, 01:26:34 PM »
I've used 26" barrel Berettas for 35 years without a problem. It seems like we over analyse   things these days when in reality a problem doesn't exist.
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

Online paboxcall

• Paintbrush Beard
  • That's this about that
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2020, 02:22:13 PM »
Personal preference. My own preference is 21" or 22", just easier to carry and easier to swing when set up at the base of the tree in the big woods. I have a 24" single shot, wish it was a couple inches shorter.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Offline WildTigerTrout

• Longbeard
  • "Big Woods" NC Pennsylvania Public Land Boss
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2020, 02:46:25 PM »
All my turkey guns are 24" with two exceptions.   I have a rifle sight 20" Rem. choke barrel for my 870 SM and a 26" VR Rem. choke for the same 870 SM.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

Offline AppalachianHollers

• When you come to a fork in the road, take it.
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2020, 08:04:29 PM »
After hating how my 28” barrel with a 2” IC choke got caught on every branch, I realized that when I hold the gun in the “ready position” at its center of gravity, it doesn’t get caught on anything and doesn’t get me tired. Any barrel length is ultimately doable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline howl

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2020, 02:35:36 PM »
Longer is louder and may not pattern as easily. A 28" barrel with standard velocity load is less likely to ring your ears. 20" high velocity will hurt.

Both of my main turkey rigs are 28" break action.

Offline 2nd 100

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2020, 05:22:02 PM »
Shorter is louder , probally spell check ????.  Ive run 28 , 30 and 32 inches . they are a lil more aggrivating toting them in the woods and may build my next one 26 or shorter as I will be going to sights or optics. ( old eyes ) shorter barrels usually have to have more choke to get the same results as 26 and longer barrels, shorter barrels on auto guns are more finicky about cycling issues , although hard kicking turkey loads shouldn't be affected . long barrels have longer sighting radius and make hitting moving game easier if it is not a dedicated turkey gun . But at the end of the day it is not that big a deal for a turkey gun , just preference .