OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Carlson's 20 ga. Long Beard Choke .568 Dia. Advice?  (Read 1752 times)

Offline idgobble

Carlson's 20 ga. Long Beard Choke .568 Dia. Advice?
« on: May 20, 2020, 04:21:07 PM »
  Getting ready to order a turkey choke for my 20 ga. Benelli Ultra Light, which will be my new turkey gun. No more 12 ga. for me (except my old Stevens hammer model I've used since 1957.).  I've had good luck with Carlson's in the past.  Called them and talked it over.  I'm going to pattern with Winch. Long Beard XR 6 shot first and then some heavy shot loads I have, all of which we use in my wife's 20 ga..  I told them I might try TSS shot patterns, too, after the Winch. Long Beards and heavy shots.  I'm not concerned about 40-50 yd. shots as I much prefer calling in birds to less than 30 yds. with 20-25 yd shots being my preference. I'm more concerned with having too tight of a pattern at 15-20 yds. than a good pattern at 40 yds..  Carlson's said they'd recommend their 20 ga. Long Beard Choke at .568 Dia..  When I try TSS I'll probably start with size 9 shot.
  Any advice or comments will be appreciated.  What do you think?

Online Trkmaster88

Re: Carlson's 20 ga. Long Beard Choke .568 Dia. Advice?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2020, 08:19:31 PM »
I shot one this year out of my m2. Was looking for a forgiving hunting pattern and it was perfect. Shoot me a PM with your number and I'll send you pattern pics. Used Federal TSS 9's.

Offline idgobble

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2020, 08:57:13 PM »
I shot one this year out of my m2. Was looking for a forgiving hunting pattern and it was perfect. Shoot me a PM with your number and I'll send you pattern pics. Used Federal TSS 9's.

PM sent. Thank you and congrats on your turkey with the TSS 9s.

Offline Greenhead12

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2020, 08:43:06 AM »
Shot this choke out of my Winchester sx-3 20 ga this year, I got very nice patterns with Federal tss 9's Shoot me a pm with cell I can text you a photo of target.

Offline idgobble

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2020, 02:35:57 PM »
Shot this choke out of my Winchester sx-3 20 ga this year, I got very nice patterns with Federal tss 9's Shoot me a pm with cell I can text you a photo of target.

Thank you. I already have all the pictures and info I need. Now all I need is some 20 ga. Federal TSS 9s. Can't find them anywhere locally yet, even Cabelas.

Offline Twodogs

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2020, 07:46:17 AM »
Try midway.com. Federal tss #9 is on sale now.