OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

20ga Weatherby SA459 cycling issues

Started by scottprice, May 22, 2020, 05:57:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scottprice

I got a smoking deal on federal tss #7s and bought a bunch (1100fps) ive never been about to cycle the rounds....come to findout the SA459 requires 1300+fps ....

Is that normal? That seems like a hot load.

Is the mossberg SA20 the same way??

bonasa

Have not had that issue with the mossberg sa-20, fires and cycles federal tss @1000 fps no problem.

Roost 1

Quote from: scottprice on May 22, 2020, 05:57:42 PM
I got a smoking deal on federal tss #7s and bought a bunch (1100fps) ive never been about to cycle the rounds....come to findout the SA459 requires 1300+fps ....

Is that normal? That seems like a hot load.

Is the mossberg SA20 the same way??

Wanna get rid of it???

Roost 1

g8rvet

Just a thought.  Make sure you have the light load piston in and it is placed correctly and not upside down.   I had a few not cycle at first.  Bought a box of pheasant flight controls and shot a box of 25 and the problem was solved.   
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

BHMTitan

I've got a Weatherby SA-08, it often doesn't cycle the shell. Had it do this with both Federal Mag Shok and Winchester Long Beards, with the "heavy" piston.  Seems to not happen as much if I clean the magazine tube, where the barrel / piston sits on the tube, really well

Fullfan

I have two of the Sa459's, never had a problem with Federal Heviweights or my hand loads. As mentioned make sure you have the hevi load piston or sleeve in the gun.  I have chronoed my hand loads both are way under 1300fps, one is 1140 and the other is 1260.
Don't gobble at me...