Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Sorry guys

Started by Deputy 14, May 19, 2020, 11:47:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deputy 14

Gentlemen, my season is over and I struck out again. Been a rough year with weather.  We didn't have two pretty days in a row all season and work didn't allow a ton of flexibility.  So my season in a in a nutshell wasn't terrible but ended with no primers dented. First weekend I hunted was youth season and it was piss pouring the rain at daylight. Me and my daughter sat on the porch and drank our coffee and hot chocolate until around 730 when the rain stopped. We heard a bird gobbling and took off.  I walked her 8 year old short legs halfway up the mountain to get to the bird. Once we sat down we got one gobble and waited 45 minutes with nothing else. While i was calling a bird across the valley started gobbling every time I called so we took off after him. 3/4 to the top of the mountain i called and we were on the same level. Worked him to about 65 yards and I could see him coming.  As soon as I saw him a hen came from above us and took him away. While I was trying to call him back the first bird gobbled within 20 yards of where we were set
up. Turkey heartbreak #1 for my daughter.
Next day we went to a different location and had 5 birds roost gobbling at daylight. Once we got in the middle of them I started to call and they lit up. After about 25 minutes one blew up just over the hill at about 40 yards. My daughter started shaking so bad that she could barely keep her gun on the shooting sticks. The bird popped up in the logging road about 60 yards and saw the decoy and refused to come a step closer. He strutted for almost two hours and eventually walked off, turkey hearbreak #2. After crying crocodile tears because she thought it was her fault I got her calmed down and we picked a few mushrooms and went home.

From there things went downhill in a hurry.
The birds were henned up terribly all season. The days i had any gobbling it ended as soon as they hit the ground.
I'd planned on hunting hard last week of which was the best weather but after my baby burnt her hands we spend three mornings at the hospital and didn't give me much time. I was able to go this past Wednesday and got on a bird that I'd hear almost every morning. 10 minutes after fly down I had him running to me. When he got to 50 yards a d*%n coyote almost took him out and that was the end of that. Shot the coyote at 55 with a load of TSS and I just left in a bad mood without even taking a picture. Thursday I tried everything I could and never heard or saw a bird.
Friday I had my no more baby procedure so I got out for about an hour and it was so foggy the birds hadn't came off the roost when I left at 10.  Saturday I couldn't walk due to my "stuff"being enlarged to the size of a softball which ended my season.
But, congrats to all you guys who were successful and hopefully next year will be better. As always it was fun and thank you guys for your service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Twowithone

Job well done Deputy 14 you gave it hell.   :firefighter:
09-11-01 Some Gave Something. 343 Gave All F.D.N.Y.

RutnNStrutn

It happens brother. I've had 4 bad and abnormal years in a row. I normally kill at least 2 birds, and have several other close calls every spring. The last 4 years started out with 2 years of tag soup, and were followed by 2 rough years with hardly any opportunities, and I was fortunate to have gotten a bird each season.
Stupid Coronapanic certainly didn't help any of us, even the retirees. I'm already working on plans to have an extravaganza next season to make up for it.
Look on the bright side, you got out in the woods, you dueled with the turkeys and had some excitement, you shot a yote, your daughter is healing up, you didn't get Coronavirus, and next season awaits you.
Speaking of yotes, what did he do after you shot him at 55 yards? Did you find him?
Anyway, better luck next season, to ALL of us, and above all, be safe!! :policeman: :firefighter:

Sent from deep in the woods where the critters roam.

TrackeySauresRex

Better hunts are definitely coming Dep! We will have our day to shine in the turkey woods. Every year I say, "this is our year" lol!   Well I guess WE will do it next season. I have a few more hunts in me. Like most here, it's been rough all the way around. Keep the faith.
B-Well
Johnny
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

Deputy 14

Rut the yote made it about 10 yards a fell into a short flop and stone dead.

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: Deputy 14 on May 20, 2020, 08:52:49 PM
That's awesome!! :icon_thumright:

Sent from deep in the woods where the critters roam.

TrackeySauresRex

Quote from: Deputy 14 on May 20, 2020, 08:52:49 PM

Right On!
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."