turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Weatherby SA-459 Turkey versus Tristar Viper G2 Turkey

Started by bdirks, May 19, 2020, 01:29:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bdirks

I searched the 20ga Gun postings and didn't see a comparison of these two specific guns.

I want to get a semi-auto 20ga dedicated turkey gun. I am looking at the Weatherby SA-459 Turkey or the Tristar Viper G2 Turkey. I have read some reports of less than desirable triggers in the Tristar. Anything else? Opinions either way are appreciated.

Thanks,
Brian

Fullfan

I have two sa459's. Triggers in my opinion both sucked.  Local smith fixed the one other is on its way to rob Roberts.   Love the sa459. It is a shooter with hand loaded tss,
Don't gobble at me...

FL-Boss

I have them both... virtually the same... both Turkish made...both bad triggers, but can be fixed.

SOCOM304

Disregard those ?? marks! I was meaning I agreed with the other posters. Both guns are essentially the same, sharing horrible triggers that can be tuned up.

Ridge Rooster

I own 2 of the TriStar Viper G2's. Both triggers sucked! I sent them to a place in Wisconsin, I think Precision something? They made them really good but did cost me $85 a trigger!

Ridge Rooster
Old School 11-87 + Nitros = Dead Ridge Roosters

bdirks

Thanks for the replies.

In the end it sounds like I can either buy a name, TriStar or Weatherby, or I can buy on price as the quality and performance are the same. Is either company better on warranty or communications?

Thanks,
Brian

FL-Boss

they are both pretty good as for service. I think the new tristar G2 pistol grip looks better - bottomland w/cerocoat....sharp gun.  Bottomland is just my preference. The weatherby is realtree green.