OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Different Kind Of Call  (Read 2447 times)

Offline CrankyTom

Different Kind Of Call
« on: May 18, 2020, 06:32:27 PM »
Hi All!

I machined some molds and cast them with high temperature crucible ceramic.  The calls robably don't look like anything that you have ever seen before but they are both in the frequency range and volume range that turkeys hear best.  I posted info on a turkeys hearing in another thread.

I like the one with the circles best!  Each circle, the spaces inbetween the circles, the flat spot and different areas of the back all sound slightly different.  These calls won't ever win a competition but they are effective. 

I also had an ocarina made in the same frequency range.  I call It a curiosity call.  It doesn't sound like a turkey at all but it brings in all turkeys not just toms and Jake's.  Turkeys are curious and want to see what is making the sounds.

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Re: Different Kind Of Call
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2020, 07:22:38 PM »
Will be interesting to hear.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline CrankyTom

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2020, 10:50:02 PM »
Will be interesting to hear.

There is no special sound to it, it is just in a range of frequencies and at the volume range that turkeys hear best.  That and that each circle and space on the front and back of the call makes a slightly different sound so it sounds like multiple hens instead of one hen if you strike in multiple spots of the call.

Offline Loyalist84

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2020, 11:14:43 PM »
That's very interesting. Does it produce a recognizable hen sound, or is it just a sound wave that falls within a certain frequency?

Offline CrankyTom

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2020, 11:37:30 PM »
That's very interesting. Does it produce a recognizable hen sound, or is it just a sound wave that falls within a certain frequency?

Each area sounds like a turkey. 

I also had an ocarina made to the same range of frequencies.  An ocarina is basically a flute.  It sounds nothing like a turkey but they come to the sound of it.  They all come!  Toms
 Jake's and hens! 

During the off season I made electronic sounds.  They sound like all kinds of things such as crickets and some really weird sounds in the same frequencies and the turkeys show up!  It's kind of funny!  They are birds of sight and sound and are very curious.  They come out of curiosity. 

Some time in the coming week I am going to machine a chime holder and will make chimes in the same frequencies to try out.   I'm sure they will also work.  I will cast the chime holder with the same ceramic.  The ceramic side can be struck with the striker the chime side will get hit with the striker. 

It has always made me crazy to only be able to call toms.  Tome that are with hens won't usually come.  I want to call hens!  If the hen comes the toms will follow.

Offline BigSlam51

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2020, 04:20:00 AM »
Idk man, I've called up plenty of hens with a pot call. I'd like to hear a sound file of that though.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Offline CrankyTom

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2020, 08:02:21 AM »
Idk man, I've called up plenty of hens with a pot call. I'd like to hear a sound file of that though.

I'm not saying that all pot calls don't work I'm saying that some don't work.  If any type of call is higher than 5,250 Hz the turkeys cant hear it. 

The call that I made doesn't have any special sound it's just in the range that turkeys hear the best. 

Offline BigSlam51

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2020, 09:36:46 AM »

I'm not saying that all pot calls don't work I'm saying that some don't work.  If any type of call is higher than 5,250 Hz the turkeys cant hear it. 

The call that I made doesn't have any special sound it's just in the range that turkeys hear the best.
I'd still like to hear a sound file of it

Offline CrankyTom

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2020, 11:42:13 AM »

I'd still like to hear a sound file of it

A file of it meaning one would be easy but the call with the circles has 22 places to strike.  11 on the front and 11 on the back.  Each of them sounds like a turkey or should I say a turkey call.  Each isounds slightly different than the others.  In other words I can easily call and sound like multiple hens. 

Offline BigSlam51

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2020, 11:43:17 AM »
Ok I give up lol