OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Turkey Hearing Frequencies

Started by CrankyTom, May 18, 2020, 05:09:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CrankyTom

Quote from: GobbleNut on May 28, 2020, 02:03:02 PM
CrankyTom, you seem to be convinced that there is some turkey call or sound that will call in any and every turkey if you just find the right "frequency".  Perhaps you are right, but I would not bet on it,...and in fact, if I had to bet my own life on it one way or the other, I would bet against it.

The fact is there are umpteen other factors that affect whether or not a turkey (or turkeys) are going to come to anybody's calling.  No disrespect intended, but I am pretty confident you are searching for a "holy grail" that does not exist.  Regardless, good luck with your search.  :)

Having said that, I will again state that I find this whole "frequency" theory to be interesting. I just personally believe that in the practical world of turkey hunting, it is pretty far down the list in its significance relative to those "umpteen other factors" mentioned above.

I've already posted an android app that I've used multiple times with multiple sounds that have brought in a flock or flocks every time I've tested it.  I haven't tested it in season but have tested it before and after sprint and fall seasons.

I'm not looking for any one frequency im looking for a non electronic device that works as well or better or slightly less effective than the android app. 

I posted a video of a guy beating some sort of drum that brought in wild toms.  The title says wild turkeys, the guys called toms, girls so he is clueless, I don't see any food or scat or feathers, or scratching or anything that makes me think the toms are domesticated. 

I'm convinced by the multitude of totally different sounds that have brought the birds in that it is curiosity that makes them come.  They are known to be very curious!

I didn't see any of the umpteen factors that cause turkeys to come to someone's calls.  Will you mention a few? Other than they are looking for hot hens. 

GobbleNut

Quote from: CrankyTom on May 28, 2020, 03:05:01 PM
I didn't see any of the umpteen factors that cause turkeys to come to someone's calls.  Will you mention a few? Other than they are looking for hot hens.

Sure,...here's a few that every single turkey hunter that has hunted spring gobblers for any length of time will very likely confirm:
1)  Hunting pressure
2)  Stage of the breeding season
3)  Turkey population density
4)  Hunters using hunting techniques/calling that makes turkeys associate calling with danger
Every one of the above (and some more if I took time to think on it a bit longer) are factors that will influence a turkeys willingness to come to a call.

Spitten and drummen

This thread is entertaining to say the least. I am a turkey hunter who has been at it 40 years. I have killed a pile of birds without studying frequecies. I do know that I have seen birds gobble in fields every bit of a mile away while blowing a trumpet. The wind was high and We could not hear them answer but could see them through binos gobble at every call. I know that I have called with barely audible clucks and purrs a hundred yards away and bring them right in. I also know that I have had birds walk away gobbling at my every call. Heading to strut zones or following hens only to call them right in from the same location with the exact same call the very next day. Again I love any research or anything to do with these birds and learn something new everyday about them so I am interested. If you are able to trophy hunt these birds like deer then my hat off to you. I dont shoot everything I call up but a good gobbling turkey that plays the game with me is a trophy in my book. I will not shoot a hen or a jake at all. Thats just not my thing. Again , if I called a bird in on every hunt then I would lose intrest. Its a game to me and I enjoy getting my butt whipped by a old bird. It makes it all the more better when I pull the trigger.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

CrankyTom

Quote from: Spitten and drummen on May 28, 2020, 09:45:00 PM
This thread is entertaining to say the least. I am a turkey hunter who has been at it 40 years. I have killed a pile of birds without studying frequecies. I do know that I have seen birds gobble in fields every bit of a mile away while blowing a trumpet. The wind was high and We could not hear them answer but could see them through binos gobble at every call. I know that I have called with barely audible clucks and purrs a hundred yards away and bring them right in. I also know that I have had birds walk away gobbling at my every call. Heading to strut zones or following hens only to call them right in from the same location with the exact same call the very next day. Again I love any research or anything to do with these birds and learn something new everyday about them so I am interested. If you are able to trophy hunt these birds like deer then my hat off to you. I dont shoot everything I call up but a good gobbling turkey that plays the game with me is a trophy in my book. I will not shoot a hen or a jake at all. Thats just not my thing. Again , if I called a bird in on every hunt then I would lose intrest. Its a game to me and I enjoy getting my butt whipped by a old bird. It makes it all the more better when I pull the trigger.

I'm no expert but I am a mad scientist!  Lol!  I'll try anything different!  I always want to find a better way!

Try an ocarina in Alto C.  Just make noise with it for a half a minute and wait a half hour. Then another half minute.  If there are birds within hearing range they will come!  It doesn't work as good as the electronic sounds but it works. 

While you are searching to see what an ocarina is search for...

turkey anting

Finding an active anting site is hard here but it may be easier elsewhere.
Find one and sit.  Sooner or later the birds will be there!   

GobbleNut

Not to belabor this discussion, but I am fascinated by your outlook on this subject. 

First of all, I had never heard the term "turkey anting" in my life,...even with a wildlife management degree and having been involved with wild turkey management for five decades.  ...Don't know how that one got by me for so long...

Secondly, I looked up Alto (assuming California) on Google Earth.  My impression from the looks of it is that that is a fairly urban area (lots of subdivisions, it appears).  Assuming my impression is correct on that, my first thought is that you are dealing with human-conditioned turkeys there.  I can assure you that wild turkeys that live in those circumstances behave entirely differently than wild turkeys that live in truly wild conditions. 

Wild turkeys living in constant contact with human beings,...and where they are likely not being hunted to any degree, if at all,...will lose their innate fear of humans.  I would suggest that if you really want to test your theories about turkeys being attracted to unusual sounds, that you venture to some of the places,...and under the conditions,...that many of us hunt, and then report back to us on how well your "every turkey in the country will come running" theory works. 

Again, no offense is intended here.  I just find your ideas on turkey calls/sounds to be a bit unusual and unique.  :)

CrankyTom

I searched for "anting" here and am amazed that I could not find one instance of it being discussed.  I've been hunting anting sites for decades.  Very hard to find one here but it must be easier in other locations.

I was talking about an "Ocarina" in a tone of "Alto C"

An Ocarina is an Asian flute.  It can be purchased in the tone of "Alto C"

https://www.google.com/search?q=alto+c+ocarina&oq=alto&aqs=chrome.0.69i59j69i57j69i65l2j69i60.1989j0j7&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

I have used it to bring in whole flocks on public ground with no large populations of people nearby.  State forests with very few people living nearby.

GobbleNut

Quote from: CrankyTom on May 29, 2020, 09:24:33 AM
I was talking about an "Ocarina" in a tone of "Alto C"
An Ocarina is an Asian flute.  It can be purchased in the tone of "Alto C

Whoops!  My bad!  Thought you were referring to turkeys around Alto CA. 
...Carry on.... :)

outdoors

BOTTOM LINE  TURKEYS DO WHAT TURKEYS DO
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

CrankyTom