turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Pot Call vs Box Call

Started by Tom007, June 04, 2020, 09:55:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChesterCopperpot

I love collecting boxes, but I'm horrible at playing them. I've always been a pot call nut. I usually carry four pots and five strikers. I think the pot is more forgiving and never makes a racket unintended. With boxes I find I wind up making sounds I didn't mean to make, sometimes just toting them around (again, I'm no good with a box). That said, late season after green up and when you're trying to cover distance, nothing beats the volume on a good box. You can reach out and touch them a half mile off or more. Really helpful in the mountains where I live. There's also more variance in sound, especially if you go to a long box. There's a dozen or more turkeys in a call like that. Maybe one day I'll get to where I can play one half decent but for now I'll stick to toting pots and trumpets. I'm just better at playing them and have more confidence in them.

GunRunner

I carry and use them all.....but I believe the box call is the most versatile of all the type of calls and I lean on them and the diaphragm most of all. Love to collect box calls, but as most, I tend to carry the same two or three in the vest year after year.

GunRunner

:smiley-patriotic-flagwaver-an