OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Hand Position in Yelp Sequence: Clear to Rasp?

Started by AppalachianHollers, June 15, 2020, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AppalachianHollers

So I'm trying to get my box call game to the next level by practicing with my hands in different positions, and also how the call itself is canted.

I notice that when I cant the call a bit to the side so the lid falls "downhill" across the rail, I get a cleaner sound. When I cant it back level, it gets raspier.

This is logical, since the weight of the lid plays a bigger role on a side cant, with gravity driving more pressure across the rail. Meanwhile, when level, the fingers have to glide the lid across rather than simply control or guide its fall.

But I want to get your opinion of whether it's good to manipulate the cant in the middle of a yelp sequence.
My inclination is to start with clean yelps that get raspier toward the end of the sequence. So I would begin with a sideways "downhill guided fall" cant and turn the call level while running it. I know I'll try this one way or another next season, but I wondered if anyone on here who has mastered box calls has tried this before?

Of course, if you have any other tips on where to hold the box, how to pressure, and how to change in the midst of calling, I'll greatly appreciate it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

outdoors

Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

AppalachianHollers

Quote from: outdoors on June 15, 2020, 07:06:19 AM
Is this a hen box
It's a short box.

Sorry for not mentioning that.

Greg Massey

I tell people , play the call to achieve the sound your looking for , each call has it's own style of how it's feels and wants you to play the call...  If that call sounds like what your wanting,  then play it that way. A call that your satisfied with is a call you will enjoy playing and hunting.

paboxcall

Keep the cant so your calling stays consistent, but try moving your thumb and forefinger to top / middle / bottom positions on the beaver tail of the lid. That will change the vibration and tone.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

outdoors

Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

AppalachianHollers

Quote from: paboxcall on June 15, 2020, 01:37:25 PM
Keep the cant so your calling stays consistent, but try moving your thumb and forefinger to top / middle / bottom positions on the beaver tail of the lid. That will change the vibration and tone.
It's subtle, but yes. I need to keep listening and comparing it to changing the cant/tilt. Really I need to record myself from 50 yards away to tell the difference. Seems there's only so much you can hear when you're actually running the call.