OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Any use a duck call as locator?  (Read 3543 times)

Offline AppalachianHollers

• When you come to a fork in the road, take it.
Any use a duck call as locator?
« on: May 17, 2020, 02:38:00 PM »
When waterfowl are nearby, seems some species’ shrill calls would be a natural sound. Question is, would say, a wood duck call, teal whistle, or goose honk be effective?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Jroddc

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
Re: Any use a duck call as locator?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2020, 02:40:38 PM »
That’s a good question. I definitely have witnessed geese and wood ducks get the turkeys to gobble.

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2020, 03:36:08 PM »
I live in NY and there are no Elk here and I know a guy that uses an Elk bugle to locate turkey all the time.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2020, 03:42:29 PM »
I live in NY and there are no Elk here and I know a guy that uses an Elk bugle to locate turkey all the time.
Heck if I were there that might get me to shock gobble!

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2020, 03:52:07 PM »
Heck if I were there that might get me to shock gobble!

Might get you to shock fill you pants!
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline g8rvet

• Double Beard
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2020, 09:53:00 PM »
My nephew used a goose flute one year.  Very effective.   I used one on a river I hunt this year and never had a response.   My SIL would laugh every time I would blow it. 

Hard to beat an owl call or a crow call, but it doesn't hurt to try as long as you don't overdo it.

One place I hunted had crows fly over it every morning and call for a steady hour.  Birds there never shock gobbled to them, but there was a red tail hawk that nested there and would take flight at gobble time and call.  Bless her heart, she helped me a few times.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Offline bonasa

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2020, 09:27:39 AM »
Maybe a couple high ball notes from a hard acrylic call would work. I owl or crow call by mouth, I see no reason to carry locator ever again. 

Offline yelpaholic

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2020, 12:39:33 PM »
had wood ducks , some geese and coyotes all make turkeys shock gobble this year.  so it would probably be worth it to try .  Just something else to tote i guess but they are
 hard to hunt if they dont gobble ..

Offline blake_08

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2020, 02:36:55 PM »
Where i hunt, there's some pretty high ridges and big canyons. I carry a short reed goose call and use it as sort of an emergency call. If turkeys are not gobbling good on their own, 9/10 mornings i can give a simple 2 note greeting honk on the call and get one to gobble. It's so loud that from a ridge top, you can hear that honk echo for what seems to be miles. Most mornings i don't use it, but over the years there's been several mornings that I was sure glad i had it.

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2020, 02:44:55 PM »
Where i hunt, there's some pretty high ridges and big canyons. I carry a short reed goose call and use it as sort of an emergency call. If turkeys are not gobbling good on their own, 9/10 mornings i can give a simple 2 note greeting honk on the call and get one to gobble. It's so loud that from a ridge top, you can hear that honk echo for what seems to be miles. Most mornings i don't use it, but over the years there's been several mornings that I was sure glad i had it.
Not to go too off-topic, but can you recommend a solid (but reasonably inexpensive) Canada goose call? Wanting to get into some waterfowl this year, and would love to confidently call both honkers and locate toms.
As for wood duck sounds, I see nothing but universal praise for Duck Commander’s wood duck call.

Offline blake_08

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2020, 02:56:04 PM »
Not to go too off-topic, but can you recommend a solid (but reasonably inexpensive) Canada goose call? Wanting to get into some waterfowl this year, and would love to confidently call both honkers and locate toms.
As for wood duck sounds, I see nothing but universal praise for Duck Commander’s wood duck call.

I can tell you what i have but let me say first that I'm not a goose hunter. I'm an avid duck hunter and have my goose call in the blind bag in case we hear geese, but that's the extent of my goose hunting. Having said that, i have a Knight and Hale Pit Boss. I bought it about 15 years ago and i don't even know if they still make it. But, I've killed geese with it and turkeys gobble to it so it's good enough for me.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Offline g8rvet

• Double Beard
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2020, 05:31:11 PM »
I have a Knight and Hale Double Cluck and I also have an ancient flute call (no idea on the brand, it is real old).  I use the Double Cluck and it is fine, have called birds over a half mile away.  We set up sometimes on Canadas.  Usually when they are mixed with mallards.

When calling geese, it is the opposite of ducks.  You call ducks like you call turkeys-call to arse and elbows - if they are coming, let them come.  With geese, we literally call until we drop the call and sit up with the gun.  If you run out of breath or waver, they will veer off on you.  It feels odd for experienced duck callers, but that is what you have to do. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Offline Pluffmud

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2020, 06:16:40 AM »
Every time I go in the turkey woods I bring my Cold Weather Fan from RM Custom Calls. It's deep, loud, and nasty enough that I can gobble on it very well.
Psalm 46:10

Offline Will

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2020, 10:55:51 PM »
I use a goose call to get them to shock gobble.

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2020, 09:42:20 PM »
Wood ducks def work but they’re not very loud. Any distant bird isn’t going to sound off. Goose calls work and are loud enough