OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: mouth call starter packs  (Read 4144 times)

Offline Meleagris gallopavo

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • I struggle, but still succeed...
mouth call starter packs
« on: May 17, 2020, 07:37:33 AM »
After hunting with some guys that use mouth calls I've decided to try them myself.  Are starter packs a good place to start?  Who do you think makes the best ones?  Anyone started-off with some of the more popular individual calls and did okay?
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Re: mouth call starter packs
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2020, 09:35:43 AM »
Get with Sam on the forum . he goes by Gooserbat and he makes some of the best mouth calls and he can put you together a great starter pack at reasonable price ...

Offline Meleagris gallopavo

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • I struggle, but still succeed...
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2020, 12:28:08 PM »
Get with Sam on the forum . he goes by Gooserbat and he makes some of the best mouth calls and he can put you together a great starter pack at reasonable price ...

Will do!
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2020, 12:34:23 PM »
The Mouth Call Mechanics kit is very good and will save you from buying a bunch of calls that may not work for you as not all call cuts work well with all people. Saved me a lot of money in the long run, showed me ones that are useless to me as I could not run them and showed me cuts that I could run. Only cut the kit does not have is a batwing cut.

Here is a video explaining the kit and how it works and how to determine what works for you and what does not.

https://www.callingallturkeys.com/mouthcallmechanics

Link to kit but right now this place is out of stock, you may be able to get it elsewhere though.
https://www.callingallturkeys.com/product-page/mouth-call-mechanics-kit
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2020, 06:35:32 PM »
The Mouth Call Mechanics kit is very good and will save you from buying a bunch of calls that may not work for you as not all call cuts work well with all people. Saved me a lot of money in the long run, showed me ones that are useless to me as I could not run them and showed me cuts that I could run. Only cut the kit does not have is a batwing cut.

Here is a video explaining the kit and how it works and how to determine what works for you and what does not.

https://www.callingallturkeys.com/mouthcallmechanics
  I see the price ...
Link to kit but right now this place is out of stock, you may be able to get it elsewhere though.
https://www.callingallturkeys.com/product-page/mouth-call-mechanics-kit

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2020, 06:44:18 PM »
You will be better off getting you starter pack form Sam - Gooserbat on the forum, reason why you can talk with him and he will help you bunch in getting you what you need ... Don't mess with that starter kit .. that was posted ...

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2020, 07:09:19 PM »
You will be better off getting you starter pack form Sam - Gooserbat on the forum, reason why you can talk with him and he will help you bunch in getting you what you need ... Don't mess with that starter kit .. that was posted ...
Greg I completely disagree and do not have anything bad to say about Sam at all, but why spend a bunch of money on what may well not work for you when you can get the kit and learn for yourself what does not work thus saving money in the long run and then go and buy some very good calls from Sam once you know you are not throwing money away on what you may not be able to use? Sam can't see how he is using the calls and what will and won't work for him because he is not there, if he was then it would be different.

I would suggest Sam or any of the other mouth call makers that I have dealt with here to anybody that KNOWS what they are looking for, but I know I threw a lot of cash in the trash buying a bunch of calls that were no good to me (Both here on this forum and in stores) and this call pack has not only saved me money but shown me that it was not my problem with the calls making me lose confidence in myself but that some calls are not good with all people.

He is going to end up spending more trying to find out what may or may not work for him if he just buys random calls. Now if he knows all that will work with him then yes he would be better buying a starter pack of calls he knows will work for him.

Oh and for your comment of the price come on, it is cheaper in both the short and long run.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2020, 07:36:04 PM »
Greg I completely disagree and do not have anything bad to say about Sam at all, but why spend a bunch of money on what may well not work for you when you can get the kit and learn for yourself what does not work thus saving money in the long run and then go and buy some very good calls from Sam once you know you are not throwing money away on what you may not be able to use? Sam can't see how he is using the calls and what will and won't work for him because he is not there, if he was then it would be different.

I would suggest Sam or any of the other mouth call makers that I have dealt with here to anybody that KNOWS what they are looking for, but I know I threw a lot of cash in the trash buying a bunch of calls that were no good to me (Both here on this forum and in stores) and this call pack has not only saved me money but shown me that it was not my problem with the calls making me lose confidence in myself but that some calls are not good with all people.

He is going to end up spending more trying to find out what may or may not work for him if he just buys random calls. Now if he knows all that will work with him then yes he would be better buying a starter pack of calls he knows will work for him.

Oh and for your comment of the price come on, it is cheaper in both the short and long run.
  I totally disagree with you , you have no idea , what this gentleman needs in a starter pack, that why he need to get with Sam and find out what he might need in mouth calls , it's always best to talk to the builder before deciding what he might need in cut's and reeds of the mouth calls ... I have enough confidence in Sam to get this gentleman what he needs without spending a lot of money on wasted mouth call. Maybe before you wasted or spend money on mouth calls you didn't need, you should of talked with same first.

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2020, 08:03:08 PM »

I totally disagree with you , you have no idea , what this gentleman needs in a starter pack, that why he need to get with Sam and find out what he might need in mouth calls , it's always best to talk to the builder before deciding what he might need in cut's and reeds of the mouth calls ... I have enough confidence in Sam to get this gentleman what he needs without spending a lot of money on wasted mouth call. Maybe before you wasted or spend money on mouth calls you didn't need, you should of talked with same first.
You are acting like I am saying something against Sam when I am clearly doing just the opposite. Nobody is going to know from a phone call what a person needs, maybe with a video camera and a really good video camera so a person can look into a persons mouth as they try to make a call work, but other than that no. Sam was not around when I started by the way back in 95 as a national call seller and even if he was there was no internet like there is today and even if he was without looking into my mouth and seeing the way I use a call he could not know what I need, he is just making his best guess based on his experience and that would be of any maker on the planet. I am in no way insulting Sam, you need to understand that, I have bought calls from him in the past and will again in the future, he makes some fine products.

John Koenig:

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2020, 08:10:55 PM »

You are acting like I am saying something against Sam when I am clearly doing just the opposite. Nobody is going to know from a phone call what a person needs, maybe with a video camera and a really good video camera so a person can look into a persons mouth as they try to make a call work, but other than that no. Sam was not around when I started by the way back in 95 as a national call seller and even if he was there was no internet like there is today and even if he was without looking into my mouth and seeing the way I use a call he could not know what I need, he is just making his best guess based on his experience and that would be of any maker on the planet. I am in no way insulting Sam, you need to understand that, I have bought calls from him in the past and will again in the future, he makes some fine products.
Again i have nothing to say to you... you have opinion and i have opinion..

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2020, 08:17:08 PM »

I was just trying to have a discussion, you are the one unable to handle somebody disagreeing with anything you say.

John Koenig:

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2020, 08:27:07 PM »

I was just trying to have a discussion, you are the one unable to handle somebody disagreeing with anything you say.
  Good luck with your turkey killing .. again i have opinion and you have opinion..

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2020, 08:28:06 PM »

Good luck with your turkey killing .. again i have opinion and you have opinion..
Thank you and best of luck to you too Greg.

John Koenig:

Offline 3bailey3

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2020, 08:49:24 PM »
sounds like a date night..

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2020, 08:50:10 PM »
sounds like a date night..
lol

John Koenig: