OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Mossberg?  (Read 2160 times)

Offline Swim-Bait

Mossberg?
« on: May 17, 2020, 12:10:44 AM »
Hey guys,

Looking to get my first shotgun "specifically " for turkey. Set it up as a turkey gun and be done with it. I have a few shotguns. One self defense and three that I use for duck, geese; and dove. The three are all 28" barrel. One pump, two semi's. I'm looking at the Mossberg 935 or MAYBE the 930. Both pistol grip. They weigh the same. The 935 can shoot a 3 1/2" shell, but not sure I need that. The barrel is shorter. The grip looks a little different/cleaner. Both 12 GA. All my shotguns are 12. What I'm use to. I see a lot of guys using 20 and even .410. Looking to put rifle type three dot sites on it, because honestly; I hear thats a good idea. Will probably shoot Federal TSS. Looking at chokes as well. Can get all this stuff at a deal, so that's not a issue. Just looking for opinions. Thanks guys.

Offline DKG

Re: Mossberg?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2020, 12:36:09 AM »
My 930 has quickly become my go to shotgun. I have the field version with 26” barrel. Not sure on the pistol grip versions, but the regular stocked ones come with shims to adjust drop/height of the stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Spurs Up

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2020, 07:56:20 AM »
935 for the overbored (10 ga.) barrel alone.

Online captpete

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2020, 09:50:27 AM »
My only experience with Mossberg is with a 40 year old model 500 & a SA-20, so I can't help you with the 930/935. To me personally...just my opinion, if I was going to spend the money to shoot TSS, I would look at 20 gauges. A 3" lead shell(specifically Longbeards) in a 12 gauge will do everything you need out to 40+ yards(they have been for years). A 20 gauge(and smaller) shooting small TSS shot is where it starts to be a real advantage. Plus the 20's are usually lighter and have less recoil. Maybe look at the Mossberg SA-20 Turkey(my wife has a Mossberg SA-20 Bantam). It doesn't have a pistol grip, but it is roughly a couple hundred dollars less. Again, these are just my thoughts and opinions....your result my vary. :z-twocents:

Offline Southerngobbler

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2020, 04:16:43 PM »
I have a 935 that I really like. The one I bought a couple of years ago , the factory sights would not adjust all the way to POA. Not a big deal, the first year I just aimed low. Then I got a more adjustable true glow type sight and aim right where I want to shoot now. With a Carlson TSS choke and 3" #9s its shoots a good pattern farther than any gun I've ever shot. I wouldn't dare to mention on this forum how far out it will hold a pattern.

Offline Swim-Bait

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2020, 05:30:21 PM »
I have a 935 that I really like. The one I bought a couple of years ago , the factory sights would not adjust all the way to POA. Not a big deal, the first year I just aimed low. Then I got a more adjustable true glow type sight and aim right where I want to shoot now. With a Carlson TSS choke and 3" #9s its shoots a good pattern farther than any gun I've ever shot. I wouldn't dare to mention on this forum how far out it will hold a pattern.

It funny you mention all that, because that's the choke I was looking at and sights by Truglo; just not sure which sights. Will probably be shooting 3" #7s.

Really appreciate all replies.

Offline 2eagles

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2020, 05:32:14 PM »
captpete is correct, you should consider a 20. I just switched this year and killed my first 20 gauge bird this year. But captpete and I live in Iowa and we can’t shoot 9 shot so I went with Hevi13 7’s and I killed mine at 36 paces. I would be much happier if I could use 9’s. You might consider regs where you hunt before deciding. Good luck.

Offline howl

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2020, 06:21:28 PM »
Couldn't recommend a 12ga for turkey. No point with tungsten and keeping up with changes in lead shells year to year, chasing lots numbers, etc. got old even when I did use one. Only thing I miss about 12ga was that big 3.5" shell. It was a comfort to chamber those. My 20ga is better than that old 935 was all day, ever day, in every way. I can say that having used a 20ga for several years now.

For Mossberg I'd get a 505AF. The mag tube is shorter than other models, putting less weight out front to hold up while you wait it out.

Online bbcoach

• Double Beard
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2020, 07:09:14 AM »
I'm a Mossy guy.  I have a 835 and shoot Hevi 13 7's with a Pure Gold choke.  Mossy's pattern extremely well with many chokes and loads.  If you are going TSS, go with a 20 gauge, 12's are over kill with TSS.  If your state allows 9's, then a 20 with TSS 9's will allow you to kill birds at respectable distances.  If you go with a 12, then look at Winchester Longbeards in 5 or 6's or Hevi 7's.  Good Luck with your search.

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2020, 07:13:40 PM »
I suggestion is 20 ga. with TSS... regardless what gun ...

Offline Borsy

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2020, 11:08:43 PM »
No doubt the 20 gauge with #9 TSS is awesome. A lightweight 20 gauge is great for long walks and long holds on stubborn turkeys. BUT, I still take the 12 gauge out a lot-maybe kind of a nostalgia thing. You might think more about the specs your looking for and see where that leads you. Where/how you hunt, overall weight, barrel length options, LOP, feel, safety placement, how heavy the trigger is out of the factory, whether the trigger can be improved, etc.

Online Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2020, 08:35:37 AM »
All great info above. It’s a matter of preference. The only adder I have is an optic is a great choice if you want to shoot super tight patterns. It helps stay on target. Not taking anything away from bead shooters, they have the keen eyes to handle open sites. Mine just aren’t as good as they used to be....
“Solo hunter”