turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

835 Barrel Length

Started by PD, May 19, 2020, 04:33:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PD

I have a Mossberg 835 Ulti Mag with a 20 inch barrel. I can't say I'm a fan of the shorter barrel or the way it shoots, so I've been looking for a 24" barrel which hasn't been easy to find halfway cheap (I've been watching a few websites). My dad shoots the same gun with a 24" barrel and it shoots better than any other turkey setup I've seen. I could buy a new barrel but it would cost almost as much as the gun itself. SO before I trade or sell this gun off - is anyone shooting a 20" barrel on an 835? Maybe I'm missing something. TIA
Whack'n'Stack

bbcoach

I'm a 835 owner as well.  I have a 24 on my 835 and they are probably one of the best patterning guns on the market.  A few years ago, some of the guys on here were having problems getting the 20 inch barrels patterning as well as the 24's.  With the spring season behind most of us, I would suggest selling the 835 with the 20 inch barrel and getting a new 835 with a 24.  Wally world has them for about $375.  If they don't have one in stock, check their gun catalog, they can have you one in about a week or 10 days.  That is how I bought mine, 12 years ago.

PD

that's looking like the route i'm going to take. thanks for the reply
Whack'n'Stack

Borsy

How is your 20" barrel shooting? Is it not patterning as desired, a point of impact issue, or both?

Gmed

I have heard and read the 20" barrels can be more finicky to get to pattern. Both my son and I have 835s and both have 24" barrels. We shoot Long Beard XR 3" 1 3/4 ounce #5s (he with an Indian Creek .675 and I with a Jebs .660). Both set ups would throw in the 180s+ in the 10" at 40 yards. I have my 835 camo with the LPA trigger and interchangeable combs for sale on Gunbroker - not because there is a thing wrong with the gun/combo, but I have jumped on the 20 gauge/TSS train. The 835s have been the easiest to get to shoot and we had several acceptable choke combos that would work, but settled on these because of more even patterns...