OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Good idea or bad?  (Read 1743 times)

Offline bigriverbum

Good idea or bad?
« on: May 16, 2020, 02:37:54 PM »
It's supposed to rain steady tomorrow. My nephew wants to go out. I have a public land bird pinpointed, I think. He's gobbled at same spot at 8:10 2 days in a row.

Was thinking of going out after work tonight and putting up blind and staying put til dark. Then we can get there eArly and not worry about spooking bird. I only worry about leaving blind because it's the weekend. I've only seen a guy hunting this property twice this year.

Good idea or am I dumb.

Offline Southerngobbler

Re: Good idea or bad?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2020, 03:53:32 PM »
If you know the area good enough you could just bring everything in the morning and set up in the dark. Knowing where one is is a great thing but your risking it all by going in the evening before. You know he roosts nearby so he should be there in the evening just like you would, the chance of running into each other is significant and would certainly blow the deal, at least where I hunt it would.
If you do get the blind set up successfully and he gobble in the morning don't let the blind be your only game plan, sometimes ya gotta move around a little to kill them and stubbornly sitting in the blind could be detrimental.
Typically what ever ya do you'll end up wishing you'd have done the opposite.

Offline bigriverbum

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2020, 05:17:37 PM »
Thanks. You brought up some good points I hadn't thought of. Him going out is kinda last minute. Maybe if we get in there EARLY, which I planned to do anyways, putting up blind won't be an issue. I've only ever hunted in one once before (youth season in april) and wanted to keep him dry.

Of course if it works out like I hope we won't be out long anyway.

And maybe the weatherman will be wrong ...
 ;D

Offline bigriverbum

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2020, 05:21:02 PM »
And now that I think it over if he's out in the fields I probably will bump him this evening. Kind of a isolated ridge with field only way to him from on top

Offline RiverRoost

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2020, 01:09:13 PM »
I hunt in the afternoons every chance I am free to go IF the conditions are right and it’s nice afternoon, birds typically have been acting right and I know where some sign is. Some of my thoughts or safe playing tactics with afternoon hunting, especially if I want to hunt in there the next morning, is I will get setup against a tree and do the normal afternoon hunt routine BUT I won’t stay in there very late. Usually try to get out of there 1.5-2 hours before sunset that way I don’t run the risk of bumping him if he makes it back to the area to roost closer to dark. My thinking is that yeah he may be roosting in that area and unless I’m 100% certain which tree he will be in, good chance he’ll come in to roost, could possibly come in too far outside of shotgun range, fly up and then I’m pinned down on trying to get out without him seeing me or spoiling him and potentially ruining my next morning. Hunt the afternoon but don’t be too aggressive in staying late or too tight if you want to get on him in the morning.

Offline bigriverbum

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2020, 03:39:50 PM »
got in close at 4:30 to where i thought bird was. didn't want to play or was killed yesterday.  rain held off until 7:30. high winds, low 50s, beautiful mid-may turkey hunting weather  :'(

heard 2 birds gobbling next ridge over and they gobbled consistently for over an hour. should've headed that way right away. as soon as we got to where we were close enough to work them i set the tent and gear down. slowly worked our way over and around the knob of the field. i didn't see anything. i go to start setting up and my nephew saw 3 birds fly into the woods. he thought they were jakes, but the gobbles i heard weren't jakes.  they mustve been in the long green grass along the woodline and i just didn't see them.

if only we'd of stopped 30 seconds earlier.......

had one hen come in close when we were in the blind(rained like crazy from 7:30 to 10:30). and saw a huge coyote. had to be 50lbs at least