OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: All the turkeys are across the river,,tactics!!!  (Read 1949 times)

Offline Happy hooker

• The Boss Gobbler
All the turkeys are across the river,,tactics!!!
« on: May 15, 2020, 11:47:31 PM »
I hunt one public area that is separated by a major river at least 80 yrds wide. Open to hunting on one side closed to hunting on other side,,not closed by landowner but closed to all hunting by law. The turkeys are thick on the closed side they gobble they respond but they don't fly across. These birds must be called across
Love to hear some tactics or results you have had with a similar situation.

Offline Ozarks Hillbilly

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: All the turkeys are across the river,,tactics!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2020, 01:26:28 AM »
As Ben Lee would tell you go find yourself some different birds to hunt.

Sounds like you are at a big disadvantage but I too like difficult birds. Who knows tomorrow one of them may willingly sale across the river to see you.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Online Marc

• Double Beard
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2020, 02:02:04 AM »
First couple days most (or all) of those hens are sitting on the nest in the morning (instead of roosting), you might stand a chance...

I might try finding an area that is easier to cross (i.e. narrow with a bank to take off from and land on), in an area close to gobbling...   Do some fly-down flaps followed by some yelping and calling several times with several different calls, and then shut up...
« Last Edit: May 16, 2020, 09:38:45 AM by Marc »
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2020, 10:25:56 AM »
Assuming here that you either 1) don't have somewhere else to hunt,...or 2) you just like the challenge of seeing if you can figure out a way to get those gobblers to fly across.  If it is 2), then just "throw the book" at them.  You have nothing to lose by trying, so just try every tactic you can think of and see what happens. 

Aggressive calling (loud, continuous cutting and yelping), gobbling, fighting purrs, gobbler/jake yelping, etc..  Set some decoys and/or a strutter deke at the edge of the river in a place where they can be seen.  You are in an "I got nothing to lose" situation, so just think of anything "turkey-related" and do it. 

Another tactic, if possible depending on the status of the property on the other side, would be to go over there and, within legal bounds, try to get some of those turkeys to fly across to the other side. Check the land status of the property and if you can legally get in close somehow to those birds, get in there and scare the bejeesus out of them and see if they will fly across. ….Kind of like the fall hunting tactic of breaking up a flock...

Regardless, you have nothing to lose and everything to gain by just being creative... :)

Online ShortMagFan

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2020, 07:00:12 PM »
I grew up hunting land on the chattahoochee river in north Georgia. It was common to have one gobbling across the river during a morning hunt. On more than one occasion I’d leave them gobbling at 10:30-11 in the morning and head back either that afternoon or the next morning and they’d be on my side. If a turkey hears enough on your side of the river eventually he will come check it out

Offline Turkeytider

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2020, 01:00:47 PM »
I grew up hunting land on the chattahoochee river in north Georgia. It was common to have one gobbling across the river during a morning hunt. On more than one occasion I’d leave them gobbling at 10:30-11 in the morning and head back either that afternoon or the next morning and they’d be on my side. If a turkey hears enough on your side of the river eventually he will come check it out

This, I think, plus if there are gobblers on the other side of the river, then there are hens. Late in the morning, after the hens have ditched the gobblers, might be your best chance. I`d sure have a couple of hen decoys set where they could see them.

Online Marc

• Double Beard
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2020, 11:28:57 AM »
Well???

Did you get him, or did he get you?
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.