turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Shot Shell Life

Started by Oldschoolguy, May 14, 2020, 09:58:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldschoolguy

Would like to hear some opinions on how long the shelf life is for modern shotgun shells stored in a climate controlled home.

Oconeeguy

I would say 30+ years. I have some early 1990s shells that still shoot like they did when new. All mine are kept in a closet

outdoors

Moisture will break it down
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

BandedSpur

I have rifle and shotgun ammo that is 30-50 years old. Recently I fired a .270 round and a 12 ga round that had a little green "surface" corrosion on the brass. Polished it off with a little steel wool, and it looked fine. Both chambered and shot fine, but both split the brass where the corrosion was. So as long as there is no corrosion of the brass, I would not be concerned. But if there is, I would discard the rounds.

Tom007

"Solo hunter"

paboxcall

Couple years back, watched the old timer in our camp kill his first long beard with his old Browning auto loaded with paper hull shells from the 1960s or early 70s. Bang. Flop.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

lmbunch69

Best squirrel load I've shot was some 2 3/4 #5 from the 70s or 80s. Shot just fine

HookedonHooks

Last Sunday, I shot an Activ Penetrator 2 3/4" #5 Nickel Plated Turkey Load, went bang and turkey flopped, right at 40 yards. 35+ year old shells.

Greg Massey

I have a lot of old 12 and 16 ga. that still shoot fine and some old 2 1/2 inch - 20 ga. that shoot fine ...

surehuntsalot

have shotgun shells that are 50+ years old and still go bang
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

mr perfect

I contacted federal they wouldnot give me a amount of time in years .