OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Wittenburg longbox favorite combos

Started by jed clampett, May 14, 2020, 07:30:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jed clampett

For all you guys that have any Dan Wittenburg longboxes...what are your favorite combos from him?
..thanks!

packmule

All of his calls sound great. Mine are all cedar over butternut but any combo is all turkey!

merriamsman

I think he only makes two combinations - cedar paddle over butternut box and cedar paddle over Sitka spruce box. I have a Sitka spruce that I ordered directly from him and a butternut that I recently bought from someone on this forum. They both sound great, but I think I prefer the butternut. It's a bit harder to run for me, but it has a certain ring to it that I like. I haven't tried it yet on turkeys, but I will do so in the Black Hills next week.

packmule

He makes more combos than just those two. I think those are probably his most popular though.
http://www.danscalls.com/longboxgallery.html
You'll have to check and see what he currently has but he builds several different box combos. The lids are all cedar.

Happy hooker

Jed
your an active member,,betting you've had your share of cedar butternut calls,,I think you would like the sitka spruce has a little harder tone to it. Dan says the cedar butternut is the most universal. I have both and like the sitka.
whichever combo you get choose the Dan style that's the bomb.

Swim-Bait

He makes others. I recently got my first call from Dan. We messaged back and forth and we decided on a Yellow Poplar box with a Red Cedar lid. He recommended that combo to me. Getting a call from Dan is a experience. He puts a lot of thought into the packaging and delivery of the call. The holster is well thought out. The call is well thought out. I went with Dan's Style. So far, the best box call I've owned. Very different from others I've owned. I'm not good with a long box, but am really into them. Practicing daily to improve. If you can run a call at all, you'll love one of Dan's calls. He was really good to deal with and he really does care about his customers. Very impressed with the service. Looking forward to using the call in the woods.

yelpy

Quote from: Swim-Bait on May 15, 2020, 12:13:54 AM
He makes others. I recently got my first call from Dan. We messaged back and forth and we decided on a Yellow Poplar box with a Red Cedar lid. He recommended that combo to me. Getting a call from Dan is a experience. He puts a lot of thought into the packaging and delivery of the call. The holster is well thought out. The call is well thought out. I went with Dan's Style. So far, the best box call I've owned. Very different from others I've owned. I'm not good with a long box, but am really into them. Practicing daily to improve. If you can run a call at all, you'll love one of Dan's calls. He was really good to deal with and he really does care about his customers. Very impressed with the service. Looking forward to using the call in the woods.

You picked up a great combo!!!

jed clampett

Yes I have had my share of cedar butternut boxes..maybe it's just me  but I haven't been Satisfied with them..I have heard soundfiles of his cedar butternut and it sounds really good..I did hear a cedar spruce that sounded pretty decent also...I wonder what that yellow poplar sounds like

Gog1015

The cedar butternut sounds very realistic to me based on the file I heard, I would like to hear the poplar as well

packmule

jed clampett

If your asking if I ordered one...no I have not..dan sent some pics for me to see...I just haven't pulled the trigger yet

packmule