OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Jimmy Schaffer Blue Mahoe Crystal gets it done..  (Read 1760 times)

Offline MikeStaten

• The Boss Gobbler
Jimmy Schaffer Blue Mahoe Crystal gets it done..
« on: May 14, 2020, 06:45:15 PM »
Been hunting two birds for awhile now and they kept on giving me the slip until today.   Amazing how the day can change in an instant.   Called in one bird to what I estimate to 60-70 yards but would not commit and never got a look.   About an hour later I decided to call it quits for the day as the woods were dead.   On my way out I stopped on the side/end of a ridge and figured it was a good spot for my call to carry into the distance so I gave it a quick shot with some cutting. Bird instantly responded but it was right on the other side of the ridge where it dropped down so we couldn’t see each other.  I couldn’t do anything but sit down right where I was as the bird was definitely within 30 or so yards. I thought I was in trouble as the ridge top was wide open and I had no cover but thankfully I could hear him walking in the leaves so I was setup for him when he popped over the top.  Without hearing those leaves I would’ve be done for as he walked down the ridge a bit and popped over not in the direction I heard the gobble.   Called this one in with a Jimmy Schaffer crystal.  10.5” beard, 1 1/8” spurs and 20 pounds.