OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Do calls sound bad, but good to turkeys?  (Read 3708 times)

Offline ChesterCopperpot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
Re: Do calls sound bad, but good to turkeys?
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2020, 07:50:11 AM »
I've got a glass over aluminum call Garrett Fowler made that sounds like absolute hell. Or rather it plays well but doesn't have the tone I'd normally associate with turkey. Sounds like the top of a box call. A high, HIGH squeal. Anyhow, last year I was calling a bird for a buddy and I ran through about four or five different pots and never heard a bird. I got to squalling on that glass and he hammered on the ridge. Wound up that was the only call that bird would answer. He came down and hung up on a strut zone, back and forth, back and forth, just hammering at each end when I'd hit that call. It wound up calling a second bird up from the bottom of the mountain and when that bird came up the other bird came down. We doubled that morning on a pot that sounded half bird half siren. That to say things like tone, pitch, frequency seem to be really unpredictable in terms of what they're going to respond to from one day to another. But the desire for the right rhythm and the right context seem to be unwavering.

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2020, 10:07:37 AM »
I've got a glass over aluminum call Garrett Fowler made that sounds like absolute hell. Or rather it plays well but doesn't have the tone I'd normally associate with turkey. Sounds like the top of a box call. A high, HIGH squeal. Anyhow, last year I was calling a bird for a buddy and I ran through about four or five different pots and never heard a bird. I got to squalling on that glass and he hammered on the ridge. Wound up that was the only call that bird would answer. He came down and hung up on a strut zone, back and forth, back and forth, just hammering at each end when I'd hit that call. It wound up calling a second bird up from the bottom of the mountain and when that bird came up the other bird came down. We doubled that morning on a pot that sounded half bird half siren. That to say things like tone, pitch, frequency seem to be really unpredictable in terms of what they're going to respond to from one day to another. But the desire for the right rhythm and the right context seem to be unwavering.

Yup,...Seen the same thing happen umpteen times over the years.  The problem many of us have is that WE have an idea of what WE think a gobbler should like and therefore are reluctant to switch to calls that WE are convinced won't work.  Personally, I get a kick out of the guys that believe that turkeys will only come to "perfect" calling (and I unfortunately have tendency to get into that rut myself). 

I have said this the proverbial "million" times,...its's the TURKEYS that decide what calling they want to go to.... and that don't necessarily match up with what we TURKEY HUNTERS think they should go to!
« Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 11:59:17 AM by GobbleNut »

Offline AppalachianHollers

• When you come to a fork in the road, take it.
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2020, 10:56:32 AM »
If anyone needed a justification for their pot call addiction, I suppose this thread is it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ChesterCopperpot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2020, 04:59:02 PM »
If anyone needed a justification for their pot call addiction, I suppose this thread is it.

Brother, I carry more pot on me than Cheech and Chong. I usually got five in my pockets  :TooFunny:

Offline greencop01

• Longbeard
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2020, 04:16:50 PM »
Talked with Billy Bush when he called me that my Beggin Machine was in the mail. He said a customer stopped using his Beggin Machine, didn't like the sound. Mr Bush asked him, 'kill turkeys with it?' he said ya. Mr Bush asked him why stop using it, the turkeys liked it. It what happens to us sometimes, we have a good call, kill turkeys with it and we stop using it 'cause we have one that sounds better to us and not the turkey......
We wait all year,why not enjoy the longbeard coming in hunting for a hen, let 'em' in close !!!

Offline ChesterCopperpot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2020, 06:10:28 PM »

...Personally, I get a kick out of the guys that believe that turkeys will only come to "perfect" calling (and I unfortunately have tendency to get into that rut myself). 

I have said this the proverbial "million" times,...its's the TURKEYS that decide what calling they want to go to.... and that don't necessarily match up with what we TURKEY HUNTERS think they should go to!

This is the call I was talking about. This thing sounds like absolute hell. But all I know is that on THAT morning on THAT mountain with THOSE gobblers it broke one off a strut zone and wound up bringing two within gun range. My buddy shot the one come off the top and I shot the one come up from the bottom.

Sound file: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uIhDBiFmu4

Do calls sound bad, but good to turkeys?
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2020, 06:44:50 PM »

...Personally, I get a kick out of the guys that believe that turkeys will only come to "perfect" calling (and I unfortunately have tendency to get into that rut myself). 

This is the call I was talking about. This thing sounds like absolute hell. But all I know is that on THAT morning on THAT mountain with THOSE gobblers it broke one off a strut zone and wound up bringing two within gun range. My buddy shot the one come off the top and I shot the one come up from the bottom.

Sound file: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uIhDBiFmu4
That’s unbelievable. Purr sounds somewhat normal, but my gosh. One of them local hens  near where you were hunting must have found a helium deposit or flyaway birthday balloon before she went a’courtin’!

Offline ChesterCopperpot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2020, 07:23:34 PM »
Yeah, it don't sound like a turkey at all. Matter of fact, it sounds absolutely horrible. Which tells me that the rhythm and call sequence were the only things that possibly could have made those birds respond. If someone else played that call and told me they killed a bird with it I'd swear they were lying.

« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2020, 07:47:42 PM »
The grandpa at the gas station getting a biscuit and coffee opening morning usually has a crappy trough call in his pocket that sounds more like a cricket than a turkey. I guess he somehow makes it happen.