OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

box call for gobbling?

Started by Meleagris gallopavo, May 14, 2020, 07:04:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Meleagris gallopavo

I don't own a box call but saw a guy use one yesterday for gobbling.  Is there a box call that's known for producing good gobbling?
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

Spring Creek Calls

I believe any well made box call will produce a good gobble if properly operated. It will take some practice to get the length of the gobble and cadence.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

AppalachianHollers

I'll say that box call gobbles often sound better from a distance than up close. Even if you have something like a terrain feature between you and a gobbler, and you know you can call without being seen, he may not like the way it sounds up close like he did when we was 150-200 yards away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Southerngobbler

For me the lids that have a little weight to them gobble the best. The exception being an old lynch world champ that was probably my best gobbling box call. It's retired now and sitting on the shelf.

vt35mag

Quote from: Spring Creek Calls on May 14, 2020, 09:43:28 AM
I believe any well made box call will produce a good gobble if properly operated. It will take some practice to get the length of the gobble and cadence.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

x2

callmakerman

For me it's a Turpin style box that gobbles the best.

Greg Massey

Box call is all i use for gobbling ... you will be surprised what you can do with box call and rubber band around the base and lid of the call..

2nd 100

Almost any good box , long or short will gobble well its more the operator for me . Check out David Halloran YouTube videos for some very good gobbling on a box and as said previously a box with a heavy lid works alot easier for gobbling .

Hoot 000

Check Facebook for Middle Mountain Custom Calls Derek Tereza does some fine Gobling on his box calls.

Bowguy

Any decent call could work. It's the person using it after that. Best I ever seen is Jroddc. . He seems to like any decent short box. Idk if he'll chime in but he's really good and I've heard him in multiple boxes including longboxes. He just prefers short.

paboxcall

Quote from: Hoot 000 on May 27, 2020, 09:30:00 AM
Check Facebook for Middle Mountain Custom Calls Derek Tereza does some fine Gobling on his box calls.

2020 understatement of the year.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer