turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Hunting a Tom when a group of 5 Jakes are near

Started by AppalachianHollers, May 11, 2020, 03:31:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AppalachianHollers

Any tips on how to hunt in this scenario?

Want to make a play on the big Tom, but not sure if he's getting beat up by that big a group of jakes or if he'd come right in if we can draw the jakes in on a lone hen decoy in the woods. The gobbler doesn't seem to hang with the jakes, but stays elevated on the ridge while they stay low. Not sure if that's a sign he's the boss or if he's in hiding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AppalachianHollers

This is late season, by the way (the last week, actually). Hens are all nesting.

g8rvet

My  experience with gangs of jakes is that they tend to run off the gobblers. 

I would try to call softly and call the gobbler in without the jakes.   I would get up where he wants to be and do some soft clucking and purring and a whole mess of leaf scratching. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

howl

Maybe just not ignorant enough to come down off the ridge where it can see without walking...

AppalachianHollers

Quote from: howl on May 12, 2020, 10:41:43 AM
Maybe just not ignorant enough to come down off the ridge where it can see without walking...
Sometimes you've little choice when property lines come into play.

howl

I walk away from birds all the time. Sometimes I even hafta run!

rgref522

thin out the jakes... no really in my experience that tom is one of the toughest to kill mainly because he will come in quiet, worried about those jakes. of course 9 out 10 people aren't ready when he comes in and they blow the opportunity, educating that tom more and making him harder to kill. 

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk