turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

What should my 2nd box call be?

Started by AppalachianHollers, May 10, 2020, 09:19:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AppalachianHollers

Got a nice Purpleheart/Cedar from Lonnie Mabry (thanks for the tips on chalking in the other thread). Great middle-low pitch yop on one side with some finishing rasp (I usually add no pressure on that side), and higher, cleaner pitch on the other side (especially with a little added pressure), still with some finishing rasp and yop.

I don't know when I would get another box—and I fundamentally doubt I "need" one. But I love this style of call and wonder what would best complement what I have at some point. Ultimately it'll be "what I have confidence in" and like playing, but would appreciate any practical tips in what wood combos to look at. Namely, what sort of situations in the field would another combo possibly serve a different specialized role? Or would fit a different sound niche.

I'd probably lean toward getting another call from Lonnie Mabry this fall or winter, Lord-willing (planning on getting another slate call and some strikers anyway). But I'm open to other suggestions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bowguy

Get a dif combo. I'd recommend a longbox though. I'm pretty sold on SS Bloodwood/butternut. That'd be my recommendation. If you prefer to stay short box get one that sounds markedly dif. Say real raspy compared to higher sounding or vice versa. Perhaps deeper compared to young hen sounding. I'd still say grab a longbox though, you're possibilities change than too

AppalachianHollers

Quote from: Bowguy on May 10, 2020, 09:39:57 PM
I'd recommend a longbox though.

I don't fully understand what to look for in these and how they change one's calling strategy, but I'm eager to learn.
I'm especially confused by people saying they use them to elicit shock gobbles. Seems counterintuitive that a turkey call would be a locator.

Bowguy

Yes and no. When things are real tough, and if you're careful to call into areas before you get to em you can use turkey calls. Cutting especially works. Continually doing so you will get caught so moderation at best here. Best scenario is not to do it at all. If I told ya I never did I'd be lying.  Once in a while it's you're only option seemingly.
Longboxes have a very dif way about em imo. There's things, like kee Kees that are much easier on the longbox. They seem to "2 note" that much more noticeable. I'm trying to speak in understandable terms. Hope I'm clear for ya.
Marlin Watkins shows in his box call you tube how he can quiet any box down if needed. He puts his hands on the soundboards so they vibrate less.
Days of wind a longbox often carries longer. If you've never used one what I'm saying might not make sense. I don't even carry short boxes anymore. A longbox imo has it all over a short box most times.

Happy hooker

Since you've tried a box call and like it and seem willing to stick with it,,,it's time to make the plunge and experience the best your calling potential can have.
Get yourself a Marlin Watkins fiddle box,,no explanation needed there's a million testimonials and accolades. You will love it and even if by some slim chance you didn't you can put it on the swapboard and get what you paid for it.

Bowguy

The marlin Watkins Fiddle box advice is good too., the man is expensive but the calls are def worth every penny. If you haven't heard or run one you'd be surprised how good they are

MikeStaten

Can't go wrong with a box from Watkins, TJ Johnson or Scott Witter. 

Jroddc

Watkins fiddleboxes  are in league of their own...

AppalachianHollers

I'm sure Watkins boxes are $200 well spent. But I wonder how some guys who post on here *know* they want a specific wood combo from him or some other callmaker without having heard it...or have they, at a show or something?

Jroddc

I know if you're buying from him he sends multiple sound files for you to choose from. It's always real hard for me to pick because they're all Awesome.

Bowguy

Even among exact combos there will be some difference. Your best bet is to do as Jared said. Lots of guys though have more calls than you'd imagine and they've played even more. I don't think anyone would recommend anything they haven't personal knowledge of

yelpy

Get yourself a Billy Bush Beggin Machine.

Greg Massey

Get you one from Marllin or TJ Johnson fiddle box and you can thanks us later .... Jeff Mckamey builds a fine call also... any of these 3 .....

Beards and Hooks

Quote from: AppalachianHollers on May 10, 2020, 09:19:04 PM
Got a nice Purpleheart/Cedar from Lonnie Mabry (thanks for the tips on chalking in the other thread). Great middle-low pitch yop on one side with some finishing rasp (I usually add no pressure on that side), and higher, cleaner pitch on the other side (especially with a little added pressure), still with some finishing rasp and yop.

I don't know when I would get another box—and I fundamentally doubt I "need" one. But I love this style of call and wonder what would best complement what I have at some point. Ultimately it'll be "what I have confidence in" and like playing, but would appreciate any practical tips in what wood combos to look at. Namely, what sort of situations in the field would another combo possibly serve a different specialized role? Or would fit a different sound niche.

I'd probably lean toward getting another call from Lonnie Mabry this fall or winter, Lord-willing (planning on getting another slate call and some strikers anyway). But I'm open to other suggestions.

I have twelve of Lonnies boxes, and besides your PH/ cedar I like the walnut/poplar, PH and black Limba, and walnut/black Limba probly the best so far, but its a tough call love his box calls in general and like you say great to be able to play them and see what you like!

Gog1015

Marlin or TJ. Everyone that hunted with me this spring said they are the best calls they had ever heard. Even had 2 go missing that have yet to be returned and probably will not,lol