turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Hen or Jake

Started by treein dixie, May 09, 2020, 09:42:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

treein dixie

I always heard hen bones make the best call!  Now I'm being told Jake bones make the better call!  So which is it? And why.  Thanks

1iagobblergetter

Depends on whether you want to sound more like a hen or a jake?

treein dixie

Quote from: 1iagobblergetter on May 09, 2020, 10:49:46 PM
Depends on whether you want to call a hen or a jake?

Being I don't  :z-guntootsmiley: either of those id say a  :turkey2:

1iagobblergetter

I meant hen bones to sound like a hen. Jake bones to sound like a jake,gobbler to sound more like a gobbler.
I have tree yelpers that have Jake bones in them though.
I have alot of trumpets that have hen radius(the small thin bone in wing) bones for mouthpieces.
I use to only target mature Toms in the fall until i got into trumpets and like sending them off and having my own mouthpiece from a hen i killed in the fall.
As far as Wingbone calls I only have one and that's made out of a hen Wingbone and makes great hen talk.

boatpaddle

Use a hen bones for the mouth piece.
    Use a jake or an adult hen bone for the mid-section
    Use a gobbler bone for the bell....
Recognize
Adapt
Overcome

crow

Quote from: boatpaddle on May 10, 2020, 11:04:11 AM

Is this the combination to use to call in one of those mixed up "super Jakes" people sometimes talk about?   :newmascot:

howl

Depends, really. i've run some hen bones that were too small.

EZ

There's really no perfect answer to the OP's question. It's really hard to say how many Wingbones I've made over 30+ years but the only answer I can give is "it all depends". The Wingbones of turkeys vary so much even among the same sex and age class.

Assuming most folks are looking for a good hen sound, it's very possible to make a great call out of ANY turkey bones, but not necessarily ALL turkey bones. Some hen bones are too small and sound "tinny", but stick the radius (mouthpiece) bone in an old gobbler bone and you get one heck of a call.

Sometimes you get some big old gobbler bones and think, no way will that make a good hen call, but then you cut off the ends and see that the inner diameter is very small, which translates into an easy running, high pitched call.

Length of each bone plays a big part in the sound also. The shorter the bones, the quicker the roll over and higher the pitch. The longer, the more mellow, deeper pitch.

Bottom line, I can usually make a great sounding call out of any sex or age of turkey bones, but may require some variations (and a few secrets, lol).

boatpaddle

Quote from: crow on May 10, 2020, 11:11:21 AM

Is this the combination to use to call in one of those mixed up "super Jakes" people sometimes talk about?   :newmascot:
Maybe....

Sent from my SM-A600P using Tapatalk

Recognize
Adapt
Overcome

crow

I was hoping for a little more commitment on your part.

I've about heard more grouse drumming this spring than gobbling, and there hasn't been all that much grouse drumming going on either.

outdoors

Is poaching include  :TooFunny:
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

boatpaddle

Quote from: crow on May 11, 2020, 09:12:33 PM
I was hoping for a little more commitment on your part.

I've about heard more grouse drumming this spring than gobbling, and there hasn't been all that much grouse drumming going on either.
Sorry, but I'm in a non- committed state of mind...  lol

It seems, that is the normal...Quiet !!

Recognize
Adapt
Overcome

boatpaddle

Quote from: outdoors on May 11, 2020, 09:15:54 PM

Is poaching include  :TooFunny:
No, Sir

In Pa., you can kill either sex during our fall season...

Recognize
Adapt
Overcome

crow

Quote from: EZ on May 10, 2020, 03:00:44 PM
There's really no perfect answer to the OP's question. It's really hard to say how many Wingbones I've made over 30+ years but the only answer I can give is "it all depends". The Wingbones of turkeys vary so much even among the same sex and age class.

Assuming most folks are looking for a good hen sound, it's very possible to make a great call out of ANY turkey bones, but not necessarily ALL turkey bones. Some hen bones are too small and sound "tinny", but stick the radius (mouthpiece) bone in an old gobbler bone and you get one heck of a call.

Sometimes you get some big old gobbler bones and think, no way will that make a good hen call, but then you cut off the ends and see that the inner diameter is very small, which translates into an easy running, high pitched call.

Length of each bone plays a big part in the sound also. The shorter the bones, the quicker the roll over and higher the pitch. The longer, the more mellow, deeper pitch.

Bottom line, I can usually make a great sounding call out of any sex or age of turkey bones, but may require some variations (and a few secrets, lol).

Just cleaned up some bones a buddy brought over, an adult Mt. gobbler from northern Pa. had smaller outside diameters and were shorter than a southern Pa. Jake

I have seen the same from certain parts of Md. also, where more mature gobblers are smaller than jakes from other areas of Md.

Greg Massey

I have both and prefer the hen wingbone ....