turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Tristar NWTF Bottomland O/U

Started by SCGobbler, May 07, 2020, 09:54:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SCGobbler

Has anyone setup this gun as a dedicated turkey gun?  I just bought this Tuesday.  It was an offer I literally could not refuse.

can't find much information on it so I may be a visionary!

The SC Gobbler

Some men are mere hunters; others are turkey hunters.
                    —Archibald Rutledge

Terry

How's the quality?

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

SCGobbler

For the price point I bought it at, pretty good.

There are a few things that I don't care for but they are nothing more than first world problems.
The SC Gobbler

—Archibald Rutledge

davisd9

Still not happy that you did not tell him my offer, but I hope she turns out well for you!  Should be a solid gun for sure!
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

SCGobbler

I'll put a good word in for you next time!   :funnyturkey:
The SC Gobbler

—Archibald Rutledge

Rem Man

I have the same gun and love it!! It shoots fantastic! I tried a bunch of chokes and ended up with the Carlson .575 non ported turkey. I have a set of Williams fire sights on it now but have a meadow creek rib mount on the way to put a fastfire or venom on.

SCGobbler

Quote from: Rem Man on May 08, 2020, 12:03:43 AM
I have the same gun and love it!! It shoots fantastic! I tried a bunch of chokes and ended up with the Carlson .575 non ported turkey. I have a set of Williams fire sights on it now but have a meadow creek rib mount on the way to put a fastfire or venom on.
Thanks Rem Man!  I'm gonna run it by JEBs and see what they recommend.

Did you our one open and one tighter or the same choke in top and bottom?

The S.C.Gobbler
IG: @scgobbler
James 1:2-4

"Some men are mere hunters; others are turkey hunters."
           —Archibald Rutledge
The SC Gobbler

—Archibald Rutledge

howl

How's regulation? Hard shot and high velocity are different than wingshooting and clay loads. I'm interested to see if any makers will do TSS specials.

SCGobbler

Quote from: howl on May 10, 2020, 10:59:36 AM
How's regulation? Hard shot and high velocity are different than wingshooting and clay loads. I'm interested to see if any makers will do TSS specials.

Uuuuh... Hmmm.  I am going to show my ignorance on this question.  Do you mean will it take the pounding of TSS through the barrel?
The SC Gobbler

—Archibald Rutledge

wchadw

Quote from: SCGobbler on May 07, 2020, 09:54:32 AM

Has anyone setup this gun as a dedicated turkey gun?  I just bought this Tuesday.  It was an offer I literally could not refuse.

Anyone know if they are going to do these in 20 or 410? Only saw 12ga on website

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SCGobbler

Quote from: wchadw on May 11, 2020, 08:19:43 PM
Quote from: SCGobbler on May 07, 2020, 09:54:32 AM

Anyone know if they are going to do these in 20 or 410? Only saw 12ga on website

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is a 20 Ga.  As far as I know it's only available through the NWTFs 2020 Banquet package.

The S.C.Gobbler
IG: @scgobbler
James 1:2-4

"Some men are mere hunters; others are turkey hunters."
           —Archibald Rutledge
The SC Gobbler

—Archibald Rutledge

howl

Typically harder shot and higher velocity will hit a different spot than the usual dove/target loads O/Us are regulated for. Typically it will be higher and lower between the top and bottom by a few inches. SxSs will be the same left and right.

What I want to see is an O/U regulated for TSS putting both loads centered on the same spot at forty yards. I like to shoot neck, but with my O/U I have to shoot head so the lower barrel will go neck instead of top of breast.

magnumgray

I've  had a tristar setter in 20 gauge for a few years .... I have a tight Wad in the upper and keep a modified in the lower..... mine likes hevi shot blends in the upper .... and cheap 3" lead 6's in the lower... again this year it was the lower barrel at 20 yds.... the longest I have shot is a 47 yd bird in Nebraska.... a pleasure to carry especially while chasing fall birds ...... mine has been wrapped in the stretch tape for years and I'm going to do something different ... plus add williams fire sights.... including fall birds mine has probably accounted for 20 plus birds the last few years.

jtoliver43

Conserve. Hunt. Share.

2nd 100

I talked to Garrett and Company at nationals and he said next year 2021 this gun will be availible to the public , not just a NWTF Banquet gun. He has high hopes I will run it thru the paces next year , and judging from the support from his team I may very well be hunting with a 2 whacker AGAIN ... LOL
TRISTAR has listened to the turkey hunters very well over the years and it shows at National convention every year with good products and innovation from the ranks yearly !