OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Why do you use a 10 gauge?  (Read 11616 times)

Offline WildTigerTrout

• Longbeard
  • "Big Woods" NC Pennsylvania Public Land Boss
Re: Why do you use a 10 gauge?
« Reply #45 on: May 12, 2021, 04:06:31 PM »
I use a 10 ga. because they don't make an 8 ga.!  :TooFunny:
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

Offline 457121

« Reply #46 on: June 03, 2021, 08:38:50 PM »
I use a 10ga. mainly because when I started turkey hunting in '81 as a kid, it was THE step up to serious turkey medicine. But being 11 years old I couldn't buy one. The only info I ever got about turkey hunting was articles in F&S or Outdoor Life by Ben Rogers Lee, Dick Kirby, or Jack Dudley and they all spoke of the Ithaca Mag-10. Nobody I knew had a 3" 12ga. back then, everyone had fixed choke 2 3/4" 12ga. guns. It's funny to look at old gun catalogs now and the only 3" models were 'waterfowl' guns with fixed chokes. I bought a H&R 176 10ga. in Feb. of '86 just in time for that spring season. It almost doubled the range of my turkey shooting compared to my 2 3/4" 12ga. shooting whatever high brass ammo I could find. That H&R fixed full choke is only .740" and really is more of a modified or imp. modified in performance at 40 yards but with those 2 1/4 oz. shells there was plenty of shot to get the job done. I never had any desire for a modern 12ga. 3" chamber with screw chokes then or now. I still own the H&R, got a Spanish SxS that Briley threaded with a .720" and .705" extended tubes, a BPS Hunter model with 26" barrel, and my all time favorite-the Ithaca Mag-10 Supreme grade that I fixed up with a Rem SP-10 barrel that I bought from a member here (used to be the cheapest and easiest way to get the screw in choke option). I've been actually kicking around getting the H&R's 36" barrel threaded just for old time's sake and take it out hunting again.

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #47 on: September 23, 2021, 09:36:01 AM »
Years ago, in the 90’s, I got an interest in the mighty 10 gauge. My first turkey gun was an 1100 12 gauge Magnum. I decided to buy a Remington SP-10 with a 26 inch barrel. I loved the gun, it patterned well. Since I always do a lot of running/gunning in Northern NJ, NY, and PA, it became a bit cumbersome to carry. I sent the gun to Mark Bansner and had the barrel cut down, Rifled sights installed tapped to the barrel, and a Turkey/Predator choke system installed. This was a great gun, with the shorter barrel, a bit lighter. Then the Benelli Super Black Eagle 3.5 12 gauge came along. It was light, stream-lined, and cycled smooth. I decided to buy one, the Satin Walnut, Satin finish model the year it came out. I still have this gun, and added another SPE camo steady grip turkey model to my collection. I now use the Walnut model for Waterfowl hunting. I do regret selling my SP-10. Even though it was heavy, it was a turkey duster. I plan on adding another 10 gauge to my fleet. I miss it…….
“Solo hunter”