OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Cutting down a 10 gold lite barrel. What length?  (Read 1452 times)

Offline bowmaster5687

Cutting down a 10 gold lite barrel. What length?
« on: August 04, 2021, 07:54:32 PM »
Just picked up a 28” 10 lite. Wanted to have the barrel cut down for turkey.What length is ideal and why?I have an older 26” barrel that shoots pretty decent, but with the extended choke, it’s still pretty darn long. I wish the NWTF model was still available

Offline the Ward

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
Re: Cutting down a 10 gold lite barrel. What length?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2021, 10:16:56 AM »
I have a Bps and bought a factory 24" barrel this year for it. It had a 26" and like you said, with a extended choke it felt long. The 24, while only 2" shorter, feels much better balanced, and a lot better with extended choke. If i were cutting a barrel for it, i think i would do 20"-21" if possible. With a extended turkey choke it would still put you under 24"overall. The problem with the 10 gauge is the receiver length has to be so long to cycle the 3.5 shells, so the overall gun length with even a shorter barrel is going to be long. But every bit helps, especially in balance and manuverability. It even feels lighter because of the balance, even though in reality it's only probably a couple ounces. It is definitely louder, which may or may not be an issue for you. I don't know if anything i posted helps, but hopefully someone who has shortened a browning barrel can answer you more specifically on the how and where of doing it. Good luck on your project, and please post up your progress if you go this route.

Offline bowmaster5687

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2021, 11:35:32 AM »
Will do. Thanks

Online Yoder409

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
  • Turkeys are ignorant.
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2021, 10:42:03 PM »
Years (decades) ago.......... I had my 30" BPS 10 shortened.  Here's the deal........you're going to have to shorten it to a rib post.  So you'll have a couple of options for length.  I went with 23 1/2" and it worked out to be just about the perfect length.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.