OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Why do you use a 10 gauge?  (Read 11850 times)

Offline mcw3734

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
Why do you use a 10 gauge?
« on: May 07, 2020, 01:46:09 AM »
I started hunting turkeys as a teenager in the late 80's/early 90's in western New York. I shot a couple, but that all stopped when I left for college.

Fast forward to just a few years ago, now living in Idaho, and I decided to seriously get back into it. I didn't have a gun for it, but remembered as a teenager being in awe of the 10 gauge as the turkey weapon. So I overpaid for a mint condition SP-10 online and have killed 5 longbeards with it so far. I'm still in awe every time I look at it.

But as I started reacquainting myself with the sport, and reading forums like this, I learned about all the advances in shot. Heavyweight, TSS, and of course all the choke tubes and sights. Had I known all this before I got back into it, maybe I wouldn't have bought the 10.

It's not a machismo thing why I carry it. I put a lot on miles on and yes, it is heavy. But the recoil is tolerable even for my 5' 11", 160 lbs. frame and I feel good about sending lots of shot downrange for a clean kill. In this second chapter chasing turkeys all my shots, and several friends I have 'guided', have been no more than 30 yards. And I have the resources to invest in testing chokes and shooting TSS, so maybe I should be shooing a 3" 12 or 20?

So that's how I ended up carrying the 10 around. Basically, mentally I was still in 1987 when I started gearing back up in 2017. And I don't regret it, but I can see why it's a little ridiculous given the tools that are out there now.

Where are you all at with it?

Offline the Ward

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
Re: Why do you use a 10 gauge?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2020, 10:08:05 AM »
I don't find hunting with a 10 gauge ridiculous at all. Any lead turkey load and a half decent choke will get you plenty good 40 yard performance. Recoil will be less than most 3.5 12 gauges firing the same ammo. Weight wise, there is only about a pound or so of difference between my bps and an 835 mossberg, which is a top turkey gun. I think the biggest drawbacks to 10 gauges is they will always be and feel bigger and bulkier than other gauges. Everyone loves light slim guns, myself included. That and ammo companies not keeping up with developing better loads like they have done with other gauges. My 10 is mostly used for goose hunting anymore, where it never fails to impress me.Paper ballistics are great and all, but my experience in the field has proven this gun to me. Hunting turkeys with it is like having an old classic car in the garage. Yea it has drum brakes and no air conditioning, but when you take it out for a spin, you can't wipe the smile off your face!

Offline WildTigerTrout

• Longbeard
  • "Big Woods" NC Pennsylvania Public Land Boss
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2020, 07:37:15 PM »
I enjoy hunting with my Browning BPS 10 ga. from time to time.  I find I carry it less and less as I get older though.  It is just getting heavy.  I now hunt mostly with my Benelli Nova 20 ga. and Hevi-Shot Magnum Blends. I will never sell my 10 though.  I agree it's like getting out my classic Redfire Metallic 2003 Ford Mustang GT convertible and going for a drive! It's just plain fun!
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

Offline the Ward

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2020, 10:40:41 AM »
I enjoy hunting with my Browning BPS 10 ga. from time to time.  I find I carry it less and less as I get older though.  It is just getting heavy.  I now hunt mostly with my Benelli Nova 20 ga. and Hevi-Shot Magnum Blends. I will never sell my 10 though.  I agree it's like getting out my classic Redfire Metallic 2003 Ford Mustang GT convertible and going for a drive! It's just plain fun!
  I would like to compliment you my fine sir on your  great taste in firearms and cars!

Offline mcw3734

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2020, 12:11:45 PM »
I like the classic car analogy. Glad to know I'm not the only one who feels the 10 gauge has significant 'cool factor'.

Offline 10gaugemag

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2020, 12:46:01 PM »
Because I have tons of 10 gauge #4 loads. They work out of my factory full just fine to 40+ yards.

It may be a little heavy but I don't have far to travel on the places I hunt anymore.

I don't really need it but damn it works fine.

Killed my bird at about 25 yards this year. A 20 gauge with 1 oz of # 7 1/2s would have worked just as good but it isn't nearly as cool.

Offline bonasa

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2020, 07:05:42 PM »
Nothing exemplifies a ubiquitous turkey gun as a 10 gauge, particularly a single shot. However I do not own one.

Offline 4nolz2

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2020, 08:09:20 PM »
I love them, period I own 4.I don't care what the guys that can't handle the weight or recoil say ,I know they have gun envy. :smiley-char092:

Offline WildTigerTrout

• Longbeard
  • "Big Woods" NC Pennsylvania Public Land Boss
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2020, 07:47:15 PM »
 :OGani:
  I would like to compliment you my fine sir on your  great taste in firearms and cars!
Thank you very much.  Love Brownings and Benelli's.  That Mustang is my baby.  She has a white top and white leather interior.  17 years old and only 14K miles! Despite her age she really turns heads!  Ha!
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

Offline 10gaugemag

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2020, 08:18:32 PM »
I love them, period I own 4.I don't care what the guys that can't handle the weight or recoil say ,I know they have gun envy. :smiley-char092:
Recoil??

I have shot a few 12 gauge pumps that were jut as bad or worse, particularly the 835s.

Offline 4nolz2

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2020, 10:28:20 PM »
The ultimag will break a guy from hunting

Offline the Ward

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2020, 11:29:43 PM »
:OGani:
Thank you very much.  Love Brownings and Benelli's.  That Mustang is my baby.  She has a white top and white leather interior.  17 years old and only 14K miles! Despite her age she really turns heads!  Ha!  Benelli and browning guy here too, also have a 62 galaxie I enjoy taking out for a spin. great minds think alike!

Offline mcw3734

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2020, 12:27:26 AM »
Regarding the weight of the typical 10 gauge, I don't think it's any big deal to carry it, especially with a sling. I mean, come on. But when it comes to holding that gun in the ready position off your knee... that's when those little 20's that are nearly half the weight of my 11 lbs. SP-10 would be pretty sweet.

Offline Yoder409

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
  • Turkeys are ignorant.
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2020, 07:49:48 PM »
The ultimag will break a guy from hunting

What's funny is it's gotta be a fit thing.

I've shot oodles of 835's at the patterning board with 3.5" shells.  I've never found a single one of them to be anywhere NEAR as hateful to shoot as my BPS 10.  Now my kid....... he'll sit down behind the BPS and shoot a whole box if I'd let him.  But it runs my thumb knuckle up under my cheekbone something awful !!   And it's used my facenet to sand the skin off my cheek TWICE.   

I've gone to a 20 gauge single barrel as my primary turkey gun.  But the BPS will, no doubt, get some days afield, yet.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 01:54:37 PM by Yoder409 »
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Offline 4nolz2

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2020, 03:55:37 AM »
At the patterning board with a lead sled?