OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Scope question??  (Read 1707 times)

Offline Rem Man

Scope question??
« on: May 06, 2020, 05:05:34 PM »
  Hello everyone I have a question. I have always used red dots on my turkey guns and this year I tried a scope on my 410 mossberg. I missed a bird the other day and was wondering if you don’t shoulder a scoped  gun perfectly can it cause a miss? Thanks

Offline Jroddc

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
Re: Scope question??
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2020, 06:27:42 PM »
I believe so because of parallax. I’m no expert tho

Offline Old Timer

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2020, 09:08:31 AM »
Well to answer your question. If you have never missed you have not done much turkey hunting! I use a scope and Monday a nice bird presented it self with a good sight picture and hold I took him cleanly. Tuesday a dominate tom and 3 birds came in on a odd angle sight picture and hold not so good = clean miss. They were bobbing and weaving and were getting ready to get out of Dodge. A lot of factors can play in.I believe you can get on a bird faster with a bead sight but i prefer the sight picture of a scope i`m almost 70 with cataracts. Could be what I already mentioned maybe to tight of a load, distance ect. Truth is turkey hunter`s miss every once in a while. That said i`m putting a light sight or more pronounced tube bead on my Beretta and hunt with that too. Hope this helps just from what I have experienced over the years. Happy and safe hunting!

Offline Rem Man

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2020, 09:49:37 AM »
Thanks guys for the information

Offline Rapscallion Vermilion

• Longbeard
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2020, 01:23:29 PM »
I doubt that parallax alone would cause a miss at turkey ranges.  You can get a sense of the parallax error by putting your gun on a rest and just moving your eye around.  How much is the point of aim moving at the distance you are shooting?  I will depend on the design of the scope.  The Nikon Turkey Pro, for example, is parallax corrected at 50 yards.