OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Browning Cynergy Special Turkey  (Read 3926 times)

Offline bigrnyrs

Browning Cynergy Special Turkey
« on: May 06, 2020, 02:25:31 PM »
I coveted this gun since the day they launched them. I finally got one during the fall last year and was able to take it out hunting and I've killed 2 turkeys with it this year. I hunted with the factory turkey choke because I really didn't have time to test it. However with me staying at home so much lately I finally got to try some aftermarket chokes. I will cut to the chase, the best combo was the Carlson's Longbeard .665. So here is the set up and the results.

Browning Cynergy Special Turkey 12 ga
Hawke wide angle reflex
Carlson's Longbeard .665
Hand rolled 2oz 3" TSS ( 8's & 9's )

Test was at a lasered 40 yards

316 in the 10"

517 in the 20"

As far as I can tell there is about 540 pellets in that load which means I am getting 96% of the pattern in the 20" circle @ 40 yards!

I was going to try some other chokes but I really just do not see the need.

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
Re: Browning Cynergy Special Turkey
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2020, 05:10:25 PM »
Wow, sorry I just saw this. I have the same gun, I love it. I have a Rob Roberts choke on lower barrel, and Browning Full Strut in upper. I shoot 5 long beard out of lower, and 6 Longbeard out of top. Love the pattern. Do you shoot the Carson out of the lower barrel? That is a great pattern....
“Solo hunter”

Offline bigrnyrs

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2020, 09:35:19 AM »
Wow, sorry I just saw this. I have the same gun, I love it. I have a Rob Roberts choke on lower barrel, and Browning Full Strut in upper. I shoot 5 long beard out of lower, and 6 Longbeard out of top. Love the pattern. Do you shoot the Carson out of the lower barrel? That is a great pattern....

Yes, I have the same choke in both barrels. To be honest, I have not tested the top barrel for point of impact compared to the bottom with those chokes. I plan to. I have always used the bottom barrel as the #1. I also found a really nice leather shotgun sling that wraps the gun up to be complete. I can't say that the turkeys are any deader or that the gun patterns any better than some of the other rigs I have built, but I can say without hesitation that this is indeed my favorite turkey gun I have ever had. It's light and compact. It obviously patterns really well and the last bird I shot was right at 70 yards. I see me having this gun for a long time

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2020, 07:29:38 PM »
Yes, check point of impact. I got lucky. I sighted in the lower barrel Rob Roberts with the spur Red Dot. It’s dead on. The upper barrel shoots a little bit higher, about 1.5 inch. No big deal I lucked out and found a Browning Full Strut 640 turkey choke. It shoots believe it or not about an inch lower than the Rob Roberts. Perfect for the upper barrel. It shoots number 6. 3.5 long beards unbelievable. Either barrel is perfect. Love the gun, you are right, one of my best guns......
“Solo hunter”

Offline bigrnyrs

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2020, 10:03:33 AM »
Yes, check point of impact. I got lucky. I sighted in the lower barrel Rob Roberts with the spur Red Dot. It’s dead on. The upper barrel shoots a little bit higher, about 1.5 inch. No big deal I lucked out and found a Browning Full Strut 640 turkey choke. It shoots believe it or not about an inch lower than the Rob Roberts. Perfect for the upper barrel. It shoots number 6. 3.5 long beards unbelievable. Either barrel is perfect. Love the gun, you are right, one of my best guns......

Before I got the Carlon's chokes I shot the bottom barrel with the factory browning choke and got it patterned and sighted in. Then I put the choke in the top barrel and it indeed hit about 2" high @ 40. So with the Carlon's I fully expect it to shoot a bit high. I figured I'd use the bottom barrel as the #1 barrel most of the time but if I get caught in a situation where I need to make a long shot, I can click over to the top barrel and not change my point of aim. All theory at this point. I am going to get out and shoot it and see. It just hurts to do that much testing at $8 a bullet..............

Offline bigrnyrs

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2020, 10:15:28 AM »
There have been quite a few guys asking about a sling for this shotgun since Browning decided not to include stud swivels on a $2500 gun. I found this at http://www.dogsunlimited.com/ and I have to say I really do love it.  I think my rig is just the way I want it. BTW, real leather, not the fake stuff.

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2020, 10:34:11 AM »
Great looking gun. I installed swivels on mine. I will post pic. Yes, sounds like you and I lucked out with our barrels being close on POA. One member on here had a twelve inch difference, browning couldn’t fix. Refunded his money. Too bad, he liked the gun. They are great...
« Last Edit: March 06, 2022, 09:05:21 PM by Tom007 »
“Solo hunter”

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2020, 10:36:16 AM »
The swivels were easy, drilled main stock, threaded stud in, added some silicone to threads. Tightened perfectly. Then I got the swivel that grabs the barrel. Works perfectly. I can’t hunt without sling....
“Solo hunter”

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2020, 10:37:05 AM »
Nice sling you got on yours.....
“Solo hunter”

Offline bigrnyrs

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2020, 09:27:26 AM »
 :alien:

I have had several people ask me about where I got the sling. It took me a while to hunt one down like I wanted. But here is where I got mine.

http://www.dogsunlimited.com/i/597/gunners-handy-strap.htm

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2020, 10:11:34 AM »
Thanks for the info...
“Solo hunter”