turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Is this too tight

Started by Perry296, May 06, 2020, 11:21:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Perry296

Recently bought a Stevens 301 in 20 ga for my girlfriend, and I believe it may be shooting a little too tight.
To start off with I polished the barrel and the factory choke to a mirror finish and shot a few low brass shells to sight it in with.
This is a 40-yard target with federal 7-9 tss 1? load with 311 hits in a 10" circle and very few hits in the larger circle.
Pay no mind to the outside circle I messed up drawing it.
What's everyones thoughts on it being too tight for a beginner turkey hunter.
Thanks.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Liljake

What's the pattern look like at 20 yards? That's a good hunting pattern, but It may be a little tight for a first time hunter.  :z-twocents:
I Love matching wits with a bird that has a brain the size of a peanut.

Perry296

Quote from: Liljake on May 06, 2020, 12:21:33 PM
What's the pattern look like at 20 yards? That's a good hunting pattern, but It may be a little tight for a first time hunter.  :z-twocents:
At 20 it's about the size of a dip can. I wish I had saved the target.

captpete

Is she using a bead, rifle style, or red dot for a sight?   I've been hunting turkeys for about 20 years(hunting & shooting for closer to 45 years) and know that a dip can size pattern at 20 yards would be WAY to tight for me.

Perry296

Quote from: captpete on May 06, 2020, 03:29:46 PM
Is she using a bead, rifle style, or red dot for a sight?   I've been hunting turkeys for about 20 years(hunting & shooting for closer to 45 years) and know that a dip can size pattern at 20 yards would be WAY to tight for me.
She has a red dot on it.

captpete

Even with a red dot, at 20 yards she will be trying to a baseball sized target with a baseball sized pattern. One little wiggle by her or the turkey and it will be a miss.

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase