turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Scope question??

Started by Rem Man, May 06, 2020, 05:05:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rem Man

Hello everyone I have a question. I have always used red dots on my turkey guns and this year I tried a scope on my 410 mossberg. I missed a bird the other day and was wondering if you don't shoulder a scoped  gun perfectly can it cause a miss? Thanks

Jroddc

I believe so because of parallax. I'm no expert tho

Old Timer

Well to answer your question. If you have never missed you have not done much turkey hunting! I use a scope and Monday a nice bird presented it self with a good sight picture and hold I took him cleanly. Tuesday a dominate tom and 3 birds came in on a odd angle sight picture and hold not so good = clean miss. They were bobbing and weaving and were getting ready to get out of Dodge. A lot of factors can play in.I believe you can get on a bird faster with a bead sight but i prefer the sight picture of a scope i`m almost 70 with cataracts. Could be what I already mentioned maybe to tight of a load, distance ect. Truth is turkey hunter`s miss every once in a while. That said i`m putting a light sight or more pronounced tube bead on my Beretta and hunt with that too. Hope this helps just from what I have experienced over the years. Happy and safe hunting!

Rem Man

Thanks guys for the information

Rapscallion Vermilion

I doubt that parallax alone would cause a miss at turkey ranges.  You can get a sense of the parallax error by putting your gun on a rest and just moving your eye around.  How much is the point of aim moving at the distance you are shooting?  I will depend on the design of the scope.  The Nikon Turkey Pro, for example, is parallax corrected at 50 yards.