OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: tutorial videos for pot calls  (Read 1674 times)

Offline Meleagris gallopavo

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • I struggle, but still succeed...
tutorial videos for pot calls
« on: May 05, 2020, 08:27:29 PM »
What are some of the best tutorial videos for learning to use the pot call?  For free or purchase.
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

Offline AppalachianHollers

• When you come to a fork in the road, take it.
Re: tutorial videos for pot calls
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2020, 08:44:21 PM »
I found the video for this call to be enormously helpful.

http://www.enticerturkeycalls.com/shop/turkey-calls/silver-thunder-extreme-aluminum/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2020, 08:48:08 PM »
I like the Primos videos myself. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELL6l_t9zUQ&list=PLbF6qMoJbTLzkdmzIrqSSxeTkJKKmXVg8&index=15&t=0s
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2020, 09:06:17 PM »
Lot's of good video's on youtube, some lot better than others , main thing practice and angle your striker .. also strikers will make a big difference in how pot call will play , you have straight tip strikers and flare tip .. weight of the striker and wood type.

Offline Meleagris gallopavo

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • I struggle, but still succeed...
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2020, 07:35:15 AM »
I have always had consistency problems with most things I do.  I can take a certain pot and striker combo and play it great one day and the next time I use it I struggle even making a noise.  I carry 3 pots and 6 strikers with me.  I have to mess around with combinations (softly) in the field to figure out which combo will work for me that day.  I just need to practice more intensely so the striker angle and the pot surface are second nature.  I have watched several videos before and it seems some folks have different pot scratching patterns for yelps.  My yelps tend to be high pitched with little rasp.  Sometimes I can get the rasp going but I can't seem to duplicate it the next time.
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

Offline callmakerman

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2020, 10:51:46 AM »
Bill Zering of Cody makes a great DVD on calling with pot calls.

Offline Turkeytider

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2020, 01:01:56 PM »
I found the video for this call to be enormously helpful.

http://www.enticerturkeycalls.com/shop/turkey-calls/silver-thunder-extreme-aluminum/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

An excellent call IMO. The corian backside is really nice for soft calling in the afternoons.

Offline 3bailey3

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2020, 07:37:10 PM »
yes I had the Cody video its great but a buddy I let borrow it and I never saw it again.   

Offline DerekDixon

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2020, 09:43:56 PM »
Sadler McGraw has some good videos on YouTube from when he was with wood haven I think.  Just look up turkeyhunter1972. He has some instructional videos on his style of calling. He makes some great sounding calls and easy to run. I have his crystal call and one of his green slates and they are full of turkey.

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2020, 10:27:01 AM »
I have always had consistency problems with most things I do.  I can take a certain pot and striker combo and play it great one day and the next time I use it I struggle even making a noise.  I carry 3 pots and 6 strikers with me.  I have to mess around with combinations (softly) in the field to figure out which combo will work for me that day.  I just need to practice more intensely so the striker angle and the pot surface are second nature.  I have watched several videos before and it seems some folks have different pot scratching patterns for yelps.  My yelps tend to be high pitched with little rasp.  Sometimes I can get the rasp going but I can't seem to duplicate it the next time.
  A lot of that pot call not playing is not your fault , moisture and humidity play a big part in how it will sound on a given day. So it's not all you at all...We all have this problem with our pots ...

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2020, 10:58:20 AM »
  A lot of that pot call not playing is not your fault , moisture and humidity play a big part in how it will sound on a given day. So it's not all you at all...We all have this problem with our pots ...
I had some great calls out there other day and they would not play well for just the reason Gregg is saying. Lucky for me I keep some foul weather pots in my blind inside of a dry box just in case I run into that problem as well as various weather/waterproof strikers.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."