OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Rainy day in fields or nice day in the timber  (Read 5957 times)

Offline leaf shaker

Rainy day in fields or nice day in the timber
« on: May 04, 2020, 09:24:52 PM »
QUESTION: For an all day sit Is it better to be in the woods on a nice day or in a field on a rainy day ( or in a field on a nice day) all comments wanted :thanks: :gobble:

Offline Marc

• Double Beard
Re: Rainy day in fields or nice day in the timber
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2020, 10:33:26 PM »
I hunt turkeys every day I have off that I can get away...  Sunny, windy, rainy, whatever...  Killed a nice bird on a rainy day this season...

But I do not like hunting in the rain...  Hate cleaning the gun and all the gear, besides the discomfort of sitting in the rain.

I actually like an overcast late morning/early afternoon hunt...  Seems like the hens go to the nest a bit earlier, and the toms are more willing to gobble and play the game...  And generally, an overcast day in the spring is nice weather; not too hot or too cold...
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Offline leaf shaker

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2020, 08:41:55 PM »
cool thanks for the advice.  however nobody else has anything to say :z-dizzy:  thier are like 80 some people that looked and nobody had an opinion  :gobble:

Offline silvestris

• Longbeard
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2020, 10:52:00 PM »
Give me a nice day in the timber; I don’t hunt in the rain and don’t really enjoy fields very much.
“[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer.”  Ken Morgan, “Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Offline mcw3734

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2020, 01:56:06 AM »
Not a fan of hunting in the steady rain. Yes, of course, it can be done. But I've found fair weather to be much better hunting. And yes, part of that is you not getting soaked and just having a more enjoyable experience outside in general.

Offline rifleman

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2020, 09:04:30 AM »
Like MARC I go everyday unless it is pouring.  If I can make it to a blind which is a converted old shithouse some guy hunts deer from, I'll hunt in a hard rain.  A light rain like we had yesterday is good for me.  I just wear a rainsuit that I paid a lot of money for, might as well use it or no point in buying.  Last year I hunted a morning when the wind was fierce but I got a bird that morning.  I'm retired but live close to WV/VA border so I have tags to use from both states.  I just go and if need to I can go home.  Been slow this year though.

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2020, 06:18:28 PM »
I sure wish I could sit in the woods again, beats hunting a field in my book.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline Happy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2020, 06:22:56 PM »
A nice day in the timber for me. But I ain't sitting anywhere for long. I can't stand welfare hunting them.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Offline rifleman

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2020, 08:00:27 PM »
Never heard that term HAPPY.  Welfare hunting?  Probably a new age term?

Offline Happy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2020, 07:42:48 AM »
Never heard that term HAPPY.  Welfare hunting?  Probably a new age term?
It's a happyism, means sitting on your rear and waiting for it to be given to you instead of going and getting it. I dont care how other people do things. I am pretty good at ignoring the things I dont like. I just can't Turkey hunt that way.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Offline LaLongbeard

• Double Beard
  • Louisiana
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2020, 08:41:48 AM »
I do not hunt field birds .....period. I have left a many a Gobbler that refuses to leave a field without decoys or fans or tents it’s really hard to convince a Gobbler to walk up to a field edge to an invisible hen. Besides a nice day in the woods is better than the inside of any tent.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

Offline rifleman

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2020, 10:11:31 AM »
Leaf Shaker  I failed to answer your question as asked.  I would much rather be in the mountain almost anytime.  If it is raining enough to make foliage wet, I will go to a field or open area in the mountain.  Good luck.

Offline Tomfoolery

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2020, 10:16:04 AM »
Any day in the timber for me. Sitting and waiting is not my idea of turkey hunting. I like to cover ground and find a willing gobbler. And something about watching them creep up through the woods that just excites me. Watching one strut in the light rays coming through the trees, or seeing a bright blue head in the dark early morning woods is my idea of turkey hunting. I deer hunt but only because turkey season is closed. I just hate sitting and waiting for an animal to walk by. The gobbles sound so much better echoing through the trees too lol.

Offline Cottonmouth

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2020, 11:18:34 AM »
I dont generally leave to go hunting if it's raining,  but ive been caught in many a rainstorm.  I like hunting the timber over fields, but i have a pretty good track record with field birds. I usually find something that gets in their head and make them come my way even though I dont use decoys.

Offline MISSISSIPPI Double beard

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2020, 12:41:51 PM »
I will hunt in any weather except tornado stuff. I don't have access to a lot of fields to hunt but I have some success there. I don't use decoys either. I would rather hunt woods though. I just go to the gobble, wherever that leads.
They call him...Kenny..Kenny