OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Chalk won’t stick to paddle  (Read 4815 times)

Offline Beards and Hooks

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
Re: Chalk won’t stick to paddle
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2020, 05:31:15 AM »

Chalk seems to stick better. Were still just a couple burnish spots that I brushed again with a bit of Scotch Brite and re-chalked. Probably won’t risk targeting a small area like that again.

One thing I noticed—and it might be from all the chalk that’s gone through it at this point—is it no longer sings from high on the rail, when I hold the paddle really wide. I don’t call that way, anyhow, since you lose so much volume and it’s not how they’re made to run. But I wonder if I should ever try to clean that section of rails from all the accumulation. Won’t until I hear back.

Mr. Mabry’s shop is quite something. I felt bad trying out a bunch of calls because it distracted me from speaking with him and hearing all his stories! Definitely the place you want to set aside a few hours to soak in when going to buy a call.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    LOL Or several hours I been three times and haven't spent less than 6 hours at Lonnies shop. He is so much fun to talk to and his stories  are great. I videoed him playing his calls and giving me tips last time, something I will Lord willing cherish and refer back to the next 30 years.

Offline paboxcall

• Paintbrush Beard
  • That's this about that
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2020, 12:17:13 PM »
I've switched to almost exclusively using rain chalk on my wood Friction calls, I got it for scratch boxes but use on many of my box calls. I don't get build up, it seems to last longer and handle moisture better.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

:agreed:
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Offline outdoors

• Limbhanger
  • 2015 forum supporter. “Outta’ the Woods”
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2020, 01:10:59 PM »
I've switched to almost exclusively using rain chalk on my wood Friction calls, I got it for scratch boxes but use on many of my box calls. I don't get build up, it seems to last longer and handle moisture better.

Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

Offline AppalachianHollers

• When you come to a fork in the road, take it.
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2020, 01:11:38 PM »
Any specific brand of rain chalk you prefer over railroad chalk?

Offline packmule

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2020, 03:55:17 PM »
http://www.rainchalk.com/products.html

Offline HFultzjr

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2020, 01:14:47 PM »

As mentioned above Rain Chalk.
I have used it on a few troublesome calls and now use all the time.

« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2020, 02:10:26 PM »
Had a gobbler respond to a yelp sequence this morning from 300+ yards. Good high pitch with rasp on the right-hand side yielded it at about about 8:45-9:00.

Then like an idiot I didn’t respond to take his temperature/extend an invitation.
Was on a NF road when he responded, and being worried about the long sight distance, I tried to cut the distance a bit and get onto a slight rise above the road, but it was way too thick for a good approach or shot on top. Kept moving forward on that “ridgelet” waiting for the cover to open up just a little, and that didn’t really happen for 100 yards. Once I finally called again after setting up got no response.
He might have cut the distance and spooked while my repositioning took longer than expected. Or he maybe was just courtesy gobbling and never would have come in even if I yelped back in the first place. Or maybe he hadn’t committed, but would have.
Should have gotten back on the road as soon as it was clear setting up wasn’t working out, and set up within 30 yards inside the woods.

Anyway, goes to show dancing is a conversation, and you’ve got to let your partner dictate the dance as well instead of hunting an imaginary bird from a forum. Won’t know how the Tom would have shaped it, but it’s nonetheless encouraging to know he thought the Mabry Purpleheart over Cedar was straight turkey.

Offline milertyme03

« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2020, 01:52:40 PM »
Certain types of wood do not hold chalk as well as others.  I think the harder the wood the less it sticks.  Try running chalk at an angle instead of up and down.

Offline TX_Gobbler

« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2020, 10:09:53 AM »

Chalk seems to stick better. Were still just a couple burnish spots that I brushed again with a bit of Scotch Brite and re-chalked. Probably won’t risk targeting a small area like that again.

One thing I noticed—and it might be from all the chalk that’s gone through it at this point—is it no longer sings from high on the rail, when I hold the paddle really wide. I don’t call that way, anyhow, since you lose so much volume and it’s not how they’re made to run. But I wonder if I should ever try to clean that section of rails from all the accumulation. Won’t until I hear back.

Mr. Mabry’s shop is quite something. I felt bad trying out a bunch of calls because it distracted me from speaking with him and hearing all his stories! Definitely the place you want to set aside a few hours to soak in when going to buy a call.

This is from you using a Green Scotchbrite pad?  Want to buy the right one and see Green, Silver, and Burgandy colored ones at my local woodworking shop. 

I have two box calls that look like your first picture where chalk won’t stick anymore in certain places.  Was afraid to do anything to them as they both have a lot of sentimental value.  Thank you!

« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2020, 10:14:25 AM »

This is from you using a Green Scotchbrite pad? 

I have two box calls that look like your first picture where chalk won’t stick anymore in certain places.  Was afraid to do anything to them as they both have a lot of sentimental value.  Thank you!

Yep! Don’t press hard. But give it several passes. I also took the advice given above to apply chalk across/perpendicular to the paddle rather than lengthwise. Seems to smear on better that way for some reason.
Call sounds good, so I know it worked for me.

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2020, 12:45:44 PM »

This is from you using a Green Scotchbrite pad? 

Yep! Don’t press hard. But give it several passes. I also took the advice given above to apply chalk across/perpendicular to the paddle rather than lengthwise. Seems to smear on better that way for some reason.
Call sounds good, so I know it worked for me.

I do this with my scratch boxes as well. Well I go length first then sideways with both, seems to sound better to me when I do it like that.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline TX_Gobbler

« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2020, 03:05:25 PM »
Thank you both!  I’ll give it a shot and will be very careful to not press too hard!