OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Chalk won’t stick to paddle  (Read 4811 times)

Offline AppalachianHollers

• When you come to a fork in the road, take it.
Chalk won’t stick to paddle
« on: May 04, 2020, 05:21:32 PM »

No matter how many times I slide the chalk over where the point of contact, the paddle seems to look like this (only building up chalk dust around until is blows off). Is this normal? Just don’t want wood-on-wood wear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Chalk won’t stick to paddle
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2020, 05:22:58 PM »

Here’s the picture of the rails, if it’s of any help.

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2020, 05:51:39 PM »
Question , what kind or brand of chalk are you using ?

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2020, 06:45:20 PM »
I don’t know. It’s a piece of white railroad chalk Lonnie Mabry gave me when I bought it from him.

Offline packmule

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2020, 08:04:11 PM »
That’s a lot of chalk.

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2020, 10:10:07 PM »
I don’t know. It’s a piece of white railroad chalk Lonnie Mabry gave me when I bought it from him.

It's hard to tell , but it almost looks like the chalk has a lot of moisture in it ... you can search in the forum on how to maintain or clean your paddle with scotoh-bite and re-chalk the lid without me having to tell you how to do it..

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2020, 10:21:37 PM »
It's hard to tell , but it almost looks like the chalk has a lot of moisture in it ... you can search in the forum on how to maintain or clean your paddle with scotoh-bite and re-chalk the lid without me having to tell you how to do it..

Perfect! Thanks, Greg.

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2020, 10:22:51 PM »
That’s a lot of chalk.
I didn’t put it over that much of the paddle, originally. That’s how much coverage it had.

Offline HFultzjr

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2020, 09:48:31 AM »
You could try this:

Wipe off all chalk with paper towel.
Lightly wipe of paddle and rails with Green Scotch Bright.
Wipe again with paper towels.
LIGHTLY sand paddle and rails with 320 grit sand paper. And I do mean LIGHTLY, as you don't want to change the contour, but just remove anything preventing the chalk from adhering. Do the rails on the top, inside and outside. Remember LIGHTLY.
Wipe again with paper towels.
Re-apply chalk to paddle only.
If your chalk is wet or damp, try putting it in direct sunlight to help remove moisture. If all else fails, I've found Rainchalk to do wonders on stubborn calls.

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2020, 09:50:10 AM »
Mr. Mabry strongly discouraged using sandpaper on his calls, but I’ll give paper towel and light Scotch Brite a shot.

Offline yelpy

• Double Beard
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2020, 10:51:25 AM »
It looks to me like you ran the call enough to smooth out the lid. I have a couple like that. Most of the time I dont even worry about it. The green scotch bright will help.

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2020, 11:58:02 AM »
He mentioned something about a “butterfly” pattern eventually appearing. I’ve obviously run it more from the right hand rail (that is, from the perspective of when I’m holding it).

Offline J Lacey

• Shag Hill Custom Box Calls
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2020, 09:12:19 PM »
I'm anxious to see the results after you clean it up and start running it again. Those pics are like crime scenes. You can learn a lot about the way that call is built and the way it runs by the evidence left by the chalk and where the lid is running in relation to both sides and the differences in contact. Look where the lid is running on the right side. Outer edge up front and then drops off during the break. Notice the difference how the left side runs. I think that's cool stuff.  Burnishing is going to occur in contact areas thus the chalk wont stick to a slick spot. It's a constant battle for me. I build a better box without chalk but it's still gonna burnish and lose it's edge and have to be tended often. I'll chalk em to when its an improvement and most times a little chalk will help a call.  Like others have said, I'd clean it up and see what happens.  Mr. Mabry is a fine man. I only live 20 minutes from him but have yet to visit his shop. I have spent time with him at Unicoi and enjoyed every minute. Good luck

Jeff
« Last Edit: May 05, 2020, 09:24:26 PM by J Lacey »
2020 Ohio Buckeye World Champion
2020 GNCC Amateur National Champion
2022 Ohio Buckeye World Champion
2022 GNCC Don Chancey award winner

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2020, 12:03:57 AM »

Chalk seems to stick better. Were still just a couple burnish spots that I brushed again with a bit of Scotch Brite and re-chalked. Probably won’t risk targeting a small area like that again.

One thing I noticed—and it might be from all the chalk that’s gone through it at this point—is it no longer sings from high on the rail, when I hold the paddle really wide. I don’t call that way, anyhow, since you lose so much volume and it’s not how they’re made to run. But I wonder if I should ever try to clean that section of rails from all the accumulation. Won’t until I hear back.

Mr. Mabry’s shop is quite something. I felt bad trying out a bunch of calls because it distracted me from speaking with him and hearing all his stories! Definitely the place you want to set aside a few hours to soak in when going to buy a call.

Offline TauntoHawk

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2020, 05:01:06 AM »
I've switched to almost exclusively using rain chalk on my wood Friction calls, I got it for scratch boxes but use on many of my box calls. I don't get build up, it seems to last longer and handle moisture better.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>