OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: How many of you won't use the same call twice on the same gobbler?  (Read 3121 times)

Offline tlh2865

Curious how many people do this, I don't like to throw the same calls at a gobbler if I have worked him with one unsuccessfully. I'll put that call to the back of the rotation and put different ones in the vest if I'm going back after him or on the same piece of property.
Not sure if it actually makes much of a difference, but it at least makes me feel better and gives me an excuse to go through my call collection  :)

Offline howl

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: How many of you won't use the same call twice on the same gobbler?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2020, 09:12:59 PM »
I have a few different sets of calls I change out. One tube, yelper or two, two pots with multiple strikers and a couple mouth calls.

I try to use only one call and tactic per trial. A gobbler can get you so worked up playing his game that you throw everything but the kitchen sink all at once. Then you have nothing left but desperation. I want him playing my game. That's how to win.

Offline bonasa

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2020, 12:32:12 AM »
I have a few pet calls I always use, most of the time I’m using the same pot and same striker with the same cutt n yelp sequence. I’m not too picky about the call so long as it’s used to frustrate the gobbler and aggravate the hens.

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2020, 08:57:48 AM »
I do change mine out , why not what will it hurt, i will give him different pitch on the front of the call or one with more rasp or one with less rasp .. i agree that's why i have a variety of calls and enjoy them all .. it's the fun of playing the game with the gobbler.

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2020, 09:37:55 AM »
Does no good to use the same call, or a different one, on a dead gobbler.  :laugh:

...But seriously, folks,...  If I don't kill a gobbler on the first go round, and I hunt him again, I am most likely going to change both calls and tactics to try to determine if there is a particular sound he wants to hear,...and from where he wants to hear it. 

Offline Yoder409

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
  • Turkeys are ignorant.
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2020, 03:32:30 PM »
I'll change it up if it's the same bird more than once on the same morning.  If it's the next day..........same call.

They AREN'T that smart................
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Offline BTH

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Proverbs 3:5-6. I like the snood!
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2020, 04:16:24 PM »
I started switching up calls after I kill one then try a different call for the next gobbler. Helps to build my confidence with different calls.

I do have a couple of calls that have been gobbled back to more than others over the years. Hard not to fall into that rut to re use them. But that is what makes it fun! Some don't sound good to me but the turkeys love em! 
Phil 4:13

Offline EZ

• Double Beard
  • Gobble THIS!!!
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2020, 08:41:02 PM »
I like to switch up calls to a bird that gobbles but won't commit.
A buddy of mine traded me some of his self loaded TSS shot shells for a Wingbone. He practiced but he still said he wasn't very good. Said he worked a bird all morning that would gobble but wouldn't move any closer than 125 yards. He pulled out the Wingbone and 10 minutes later his seven year old daughter shot her first turkey (a 24 lb. longbeard)
with her .410 at 28 steps. 

Offline MISSISSIPPI Double beard

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2020, 02:26:42 PM »
If I'm huntin a gobbler and he is henned up, responds and doesn't come in I will use the same call again. If can see him and I know he is alone and doesn't come in, then I will swap calls. 
They call him...Kenny..Kenny

Offline davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2020, 02:59:23 PM »
As long as I did not spook him with a certain call then I have not issue using the same one multiple times. He liked that call for a reason and so therefore I will try it again.
“A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason.” - Rev Zach Farmer

Online paboxcall

• Paintbrush Beard
  • That's this about that
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2020, 04:07:39 PM »
I'll change it up if it's the same bird more than once on the same morning.  If it's the next day..........same call.

They AREN'T that smart................

:agreed: 100%.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Offline perrytrails

• Longbeard
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2020, 07:34:07 PM »
If he gobbles at it, I’d say he likes it, wether it’s the next day or next week.

If he’s not responding to me or not real excited then maybe I’ll switch.

If he’s responding, and hangs up, and a big dose of silence doesn’t make him break. I’ll move on him.

To me that can make all the difference.

Make a move, scratch in the leaves and purr for awhile, deadly.

And what didn’t work today will work perfect tomorrow. That’s what makes it fun.

Offline Turkeytider

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2020, 07:45:11 PM »
If I'm huntin a gobbler and he is henned up, responds and doesn't come in I will use the same call again. If can see him and I know he is alone and doesn't come in, then I will swap calls.

That`s exactly what happened to me. We had a conversation, he came closer, but shut up and wandered off, I`m almost positive with hens. He knew where I was and didn`t run from the call earlier, so when he gobbled over an hour later some distance away, I hit him with the same call. Came at least 100 yards like he was on a rope and went home with me.

Offline Marc

• Double Beard
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2020, 01:07:08 AM »
How many of you won't use the same call twice on the same gobbler?
Depends...  Did he bust me and run nervously off at some point?  Or was he interested, and just did not finish?

If I know I am going to hunt the next day, and had an interested bird that simply did not commit...  I might leave calling as I head away from the bird...  Maybe...  Just maybe, he will head in range before that elusive hen from the day before runs off again....

If a bird busted me, I will not use the same calls, or the same location then next day...
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Online yelpy

• Double Beard
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2020, 07:32:06 PM »
To each their own. I've called up a bird in the evening and spooked it. He left and flew up to roost inside the woods about 250yrds away. The very next morning, same spot, same call, he came in for a load of tss. Turkey's will be Turkey's. You never know what they will do.