OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Leupold vx freedom  (Read 3205 times)

Offline drake799

Leupold vx freedom
« on: May 04, 2020, 02:00:21 PM »
Anyone use one of these?  I was watching Drury and noticed them shooting them.  Kind of got me thinking about trying one   Anyone with any experience

Offline grayfox

• Longbeard
Re: Leupold vx freedom
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2020, 05:35:41 PM »
I don't own one but the best I can remember these replaced the VX2's. They are supposed to have the same glass quality.

Offline WildTigerTrout

• Longbeard
  • "Big Woods" NC Pennsylvania Public Land Boss
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2020, 08:23:38 AM »
The VX Freedom series only has one shotgun/muzzleloader scope and it is a 3x9.  Way to much power for a turkey gun IMO.  The 1.5 x 4 is a rifle scope and is parallax adjusted for 150 yards like all their rifle scopes.

I looked around and found a used but like new Leupold VX I Shotgun 1x4 scope.  It is parallax adjusted for 75 yards. They were made with Heavy Duplex and Turkey Plex reticles.  Mine is Heavy Duplex and clear as a bell.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

Offline Rapscallion Vermilion

• Longbeard
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2020, 10:52:15 AM »
The VX Freedom series only has one shotgun/muzzleloader scope and it is a 3x9.  Way to much power for a turkey gun IMO.  The 1.5 x 4 is a rifle scope and is parallax adjusted for 150 yards like all their rifle scopes.

I looked around and found a used but like new Leupold VX I Shotgun 1x4 scope.  It is parallax adjusted for 75 yards. They were made with Heavy Duplex and Turkey Plex reticles.  Mine is Heavy Duplex and clear as a bell.

Excellent scope if you find one and well worth looking for.  I have the same scope with the turkey plex reticle and the scope is bit sharper, a bit brighter, 5 ounces lighter, and wider field of view than my Nikon Turkey Pros.  Eye relief is ~4", about an inch less than the Turkey Pro, and it has a smaller exit pupil, but still 10 mm at the 2x I run it at.

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2020, 02:21:03 PM »
If you can find one of the Turkey Plex scopes they are very nice, my eyes got to where I was having a hard time with my fiber optic sites so I bought the scope and man it is nice. Just don't make the mistake of turning it all the way up, you really do not need to for shooting ethical ranges anyway and I think you would be much more likely to lose the turkey if it was moving if it was turned all the way up.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline WildTigerTrout

• Longbeard
  • "Big Woods" NC Pennsylvania Public Land Boss
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2020, 09:31:41 AM »
If you can find one of the Turkey Plex scopes they are very nice, my eyes got to where I was having a hard time with my fiber optic sites so I bought the scope and man it is nice. Just don't make the mistake of turning it all the way up, you really do not need to for shooting ethical ranges anyway and I think you would be much more likely to lose the turkey if it was moving if it was turned all the way up.
I experience the same problem with my eyesight.  At age 60 I just can't focus on open sights anymore. Every variable power scope I have I keep on it's lowest power setting while hunting.  My reasoning is if I get a close shot and/or fast shot I am ready instantly and if a longer shot presents itself I will more than likely have time to turn the power up if need be. :icon_thumright:
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2020, 06:18:07 PM »
I experience the same problem with my eyesight.  At age 60 I just can't focus on open sights anymore. Every variable power scope I have I keep on it's lowest power setting while hunting.  My reasoning is if I get a close shot and/or fast shot I am ready instantly and if a longer shot presents itself I will more than likely have time to turn the power up if need be. :icon_thumright:
I was surprised by how fast I went from seeing it alright to it being blurry even with new glasses. Have had problem with my eyes my whole life though, I remember 3 surgeries on them and have been told I had 5 surgeries on them.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Online Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2020, 06:38:06 PM »
If you can find Simmons pro diamond , you would be pleased with one of those ... or anything with circle x ...